Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Good Fences and Lunch Out

I'm linking up today with Good Fences.
Not a fence today, but I'm thinking a railing is a fence for stairs. 😊
🐝     🐝     🐝     🐝
 A misty 55 degrees this morning on my walk.
Since it wasn't all that warm I wore my rain pants and yellow slicker.
No kind of a route today at all.  Walked all over in a crazy pattern of streets.
I don't think I could repeat it if I tried!!
 Started out with a mist, kind of cleared up and then rained again.

The guy that I see sometimes was out running around the ball park loop.
He runs around it 5 times.
Once in a while I see a woman walking who whenever she sees me
turns and goes another way.  She was walking today, and again she went another way.  
I did wave and say good morning to her.  She must be very shy but I'm hoping one of these days she'll pass by and say hi.  

Walked 6.2 miles.
 💦     💦     💦     💦
Home in the morning.
We went out just before lunch and stopped at the library
to pick up a book that was on hold for me.
Had to go to the post office to mail off a couple things.

We've been meaning to try a new cafe over in Grantsville.
Well it's not new anymore, its been open for a year.
Anyway we decided to go there for lunch today.
We were pleasantly surprised with how nice it all was
and the food was very good too.
The Cornucopia Cafe
We sat in the back by large windows overlooking a nice grassy area 
and farther down you could see the river.
There are tables out on the deck out back and I look forward to 
going back on a day where we can sit outside.
There is a B & B next door and down behind that a lovely shop
that we looked around in.
There are three floors and I gave Ken a few ideas on some Christmas presents. 
It's one of those shops that you see all kinds of things that you
would love to have but don't need.
Today he bought me a pair of earrings.
The porch of the shop was decorated for fall and looked so pretty.


There was also a gourmet shop and an old cottage that looked like was being
fixed up to use I'm thinking for another shop of some kind.
The other little shop that caught my eye was an ice cream one.
Didn't by any ice cream  (Too full after lunch)
but I loved the sign that hung on a building pointing the way to the shop.
Sometimes these unplanned little outings are so nice and this was one of them.
When I got back home I made some Zucchini Bread.
 Yes, with zucchini out of my garden.
Off to fold some laundry and then it will be supper time.
Had to hang clothes inside today, it's been periods of on and off rain,
some quite heavy at times.


A happy day to you.
happyone  🎈

"Things of the spirit differ from things material in that
the more you give the more you have."
~ Christopher Morley

Comment replies:
A few people mentioned the old house in yesterdays post.
I've heard but not sure if it is true, that a woman who is in a nursing home owns it and and refuses to let the family sell it. 
Robin - No, haven't looked in the windows.  Doesn't seem to be a window that I can look in.  Most are too high up and the lower ones are blocked.  I don't want to walk on the porch because it doesn't seem safe.
🌹     🌹     🌹     🌹
Most of you know that my step-dad died in June.
Today is his birthday,  he would have been 86.

My mom had another fall the other day.  
They thought she broke her tail bone.
She didn't break that bone but some other small bone in that area
on the same side as her broken hip and leg last year.
So now she can't walk for 6 weeks and is not doing very well.
  My prayer for her now is that she goes home to heaven some night
peacefully in her sleep.
It is what she wants.

18 comments:

Christine said...

That's a pretty set of stone steps and rustic railings or fence alongside!
That's so nice to find a new place to visit occasionally & next time you'll have to try the ice cream place!
So sorry to hear of your mothers fall. Praying that the Lord blesses as He sees fit.

Snow said...

So sorry your mother fell. I know she must be discouraged. I will pray for her.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, pretty image from your walk. The cafe looks cute. Sending my prayers and best wishes for your Mom. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day and weekend ahead!

Cat Lover said...

Oh Karen, I am so sorry about you Mom. My prayers are with her.
Thanks for sharing your day with us. It sounds so enjoyable. Chuck is done work in a week for this year. I am looking forward to a few adventures too!

Adam said...

I often walk my dog around the block but never at night or when it's just too dark. I took her outside to do her business this morning and she just wanted her "walk" and refused to go in the yard. I had to pick her up. She can be quite stubborn

Lowcarb team member said...

I love your first photo, and the cafe you went to looks lovely.

Very sorry to hear about your mom, sending my thoughts and prayers for her.

All the best Jan

TexWisGirl said...

what a cute little shop! and lovely fence/railing, too.

i'm sorry for your mom. good healing wished to her.

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

My grandmother spent a couple of years wishing to die. She couldn't live on her own any more and was in her 90's. I think it is kinder for society to assist than take the opposite stance. Hope your mom doesn't suffer too long with the broken bones. Odd about the other lady avoiding you.

Lowcarb team member said...

Hi again, I've just read your comment on the low carb diabetic blog about you picking up walnuts on your walks ... you may find this helpful http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/walnuts-did-you-know.html

All the best Jan

Unknown said...

Love the photos! Is The Cornucopia Cafe beside Penn Alps? So very sorry to hear about your Mom will definitely keep her in our prayers!

Melanie said...

I'm sorry to hear about your mom's fall. So hard for them at that age to walk and keep balance. I hope she's not in much pain. I love little out the way places to visit and eat. It sounds like your cafe and shops were a winner. I love that railing and stone steps. Have a great day.

Mylittlepieceofengland said...

So sorry to hear about your mum, it must be so painful, bless her. What a lovely shop, just the kind of place I love to mooch around xx

John's Island said...

Lots of neat photos and the railing works for me as a fence for Good Fences. The second pic, along your walk, is my favorite. Interesting about the shy woman. It often fascinates me, as I walk in the city, as to how different people will interact as I pass them. Some are friendly, some will just smile, and some will just go straight ahead without even giving me a glance. People are so different! Blessings to you mom ... hope she will be OK. Have a great weekend!

Prunella Pepperpot said...

Oh dear your poor Mum. I hope she feels more comfortable soon.
The colours in your post today are wonderful.
Have a lovely weekend :)x

CountryMum said...

So sorry to read about your mum having another fall. Hope she is feeling better with each day.

What a beautiful little shop... seemingly full of little treasures.

Sunflower Days said...

Thinking of you and your Mom....I know it is hard but and I pray she is feeling better. Sending you hugs, love and prayers! Pam

Vee said...

That's just how I feel about ice cream. And I find that I can always enjoy a smidge even when very full. =D

In recent weeks, I have started to take care of my father one day a week. He is also taking tumbles. Last week, he fell and landed on his bottom. He looked up at me and said, "well here I am." Somehow I got him back to his feet. I have the same prayer for him that you have for your mom. God knows and He will make those choices. We can place our trust firmly in Him. Praying for your mom to fully live every one of her intended days on this earth.

Linda said...

So sorry to hear about Aunt Ida. Wishing her a speedy recovery. Did she need to have surgery or will the fracture heal without surgery. I think of her often and wish I could go and visit her. Are you planning to visit her and see how she is doing?