☃ ☃ ☀ ☁
We got a bit of snow over night, about an inch or so and I got to walk in the snow. It was 25 degrees with a bit of a wind. A bit dark when I started out at 6:55 but it soon was light. I saw the sun for a awhile and then it clouded up again after I got home. It snowed on and off in the morning and in the afternoon the sun came out.
I wore my hiking boots which is better in the snow than my walking shoes, keeps my feet dry.
The town pond looked pretty with the early sun shining through the trees on the water.
Walked around town and up the hill behind my house. Have turned around and going back down here.
Flicka lives up at the end of the hill and she looks nice and warm in her thick coat.
I saw lots of tracks in the snow, rabbits, deer, birds, and some little animals like squirrels or chipmunks.
Pretty quiet around town this early Saturday morning. So nice to be out walking.
Walked 5.2 miles.
☃ ☁ ☀ ☀
I did some baking today. The first Sunday in January is my turn for baking the cookies for the kids at Sunday school and I baked the first batch of them today. Usually bake chocolate chippers but this time baked a different kind. I haven't baked them in a very long time but plan on baking them a lot more often. I forgot how delicious they are. I got the recipe years ago from Kathy, my sister in law. They are German Chocolate Cookies and you start with a box of German Chocolate cake mix.
Here's the recipe.
- 1 box German Chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cut raisins
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 slightly beaten eggs
Place spoonful on ungreased cookie sheet and bake 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
The picture is a bit washed out. The cookies are actually darker than they look.
Also baked Welsh Cookies but didn't take a picture.
☀ ☀ ☀ ☀The other day we went to Perkins to eat and I was in the mood for a chicken pot pie but they didn't have any of them left. I've been craving one since then, so today I made one of my own for supper.
Chicken Pot Pie
- 10 oz chicken broth
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 1 1/2 cup diced potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 1 med onion coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 9" pie crust
- Combine broth, 1 c water, carrots and potatoes in med pan. Bring to boil - reduce heat and summer 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in large skillet over med heat. Add mushrooms and onion; saute till softened - about 5 minutes. Stir in broth mixture and peas.
- Whisk remaining 1/3 cup water into the flour until smooth; whisk into vegetable mixture. Increase heat to med-high; bring to boil.
- Stir chicken into mixture and put in a 2 qt shallow baking dish.
- Roll crust to fit 1" larger than dish and place over filling. Trim and flute edge. Cut a scalloped round from center with cookie cutter.
- Bake till filling is bubbly and crust is browned - about 20 minutes in a 375 degree oven.
Hope your day was a happy one.
happyone : )
Tradition: sit with husband in a room lit
only by tree lights and remember
our blessings outnumber the lights.
Happy Christmas to all.
~ Betsy Canas
BettyC - Someone else has recommended these books to me also. I have then on my list. Thanks : )
Thanks everyone for your prayers for Trish. Will keep you posted on how she's doing.