Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Monday, November 24, 2014

A warm day

I am thankful for books.
My love for reading started when I was 6 years old in first grade.
I'm thankful for my teacher, Mrs Claxton who taught me how to read.
I'm thankful for my Mom who read
me countless books over and over again
before I could read.  
The one book that comes to mind was the Little Golden Book,
The Things I Like.
I asked for that one to be read the most and my mom tells me
that she would get so tired of reading it and would try to change things around but I would let her know that, that wasn't how the story went.
Wish I still had mine.
✼     ✼     ✼     ✼
Our little pond at Happy Trails yesterday. 
✼     ✼     ✼     ✼
We've had a warm up.  Stepped outside into a very windy morning but with a temperature of 54 degrees. 
It's been a while since I  walked the Farm Loop and it was so nice walking that way again.  Don't walk it on those cold days with the wind because it is so out in the open.  Sorry to say I saw a little owl and a rabbit in the road that had gotten hit by a car.
Here's some geese I saw alive and well.
My walk continued around town before I headed back home.  Surprisingly on such a beautiful warm morning I didn't see anyone else out walking.

I walked 6.2 miles.
✼     ✼     ✼     ✼
I took this picture of a White Breasted Nuthatch up at HT yesterday.  There were two of them and this is the first time I've ever seen one. 
I took advantage of this nice day and hung my sheets out on the line to dry.  They dried super fast with all this wind and were back on the bed before lunch time.

I baked a pumpkin pie this afternoon.  This one is for church tomorrow evening.  We are having an early Thanksgiving service.  It is an informal one that will be held in the fellowship hall and it has the clever name of Pie and Praise.  We all bring in our favorite pie for Thanksgiving.   Pastor has asked a few people to give their testimonies and I happen to be one of the ones he asked.  I said yes, though speaking in front of people is not my favorite thing to do.  I ask you to please say a little prayer for me tomorrow evening that I will be able to put in words what I'm feeling in my heart.   Thanks. : )

It's been a warm day but has gotten more windy as the day has progressed.  I don't think this warm weather will be around much longer but it sure is nice.

Hope your day is sunny and bright and that you are smiling.
happyone : )
Do not take anything for granted,
not one smile or one person or one rainbow
or one breath, or one night in your cozy bed.
~ Terri Guillemets

9 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Karen - I also was raised on Little Golden Books. I think my mom bought me a new one every time we went grocery shopping. I have such good memories of her reading to me. I don't I had "The Things I Like" myself, but my children had that book and I do remember reading it to them! I love Little Golden Books but I no longer have mine either. Your "Pie and Praise" service sounds lovely. I will remember you in my prayers and know that you will do fine. My son is so worried about his Spanish. He called me this morning and said he is real nervous about it, so thank you for your prayers. He is a good guy and tries hard. I always like reading your posts - they make me happy! Have a wonderful week and a Happy Thanksgiving.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

It's very warm here too.... I even have a few windows opened today. BUT--the cold weather is coming back. Think we'll miss most of the snow this time --which is fine since we are traveling to my son's home on Wednesday. I hate driving in bad weather...

Love your church's creative Thanksgiving Service (Pie and Praise)... Prayers for you--but I'm sure you will do fine with your testimony. God will help you with the correct words... Proud of you!!!

Happy Thanksgiving.
Hugs,
Betsy

eileeninmd said...

Sounds like a nice day.. The walk, the birds and baking the pie. Beautiful photos! I love pumpkin pie.. Have a happy week!

Nellie said...

It is nice to have a pretty day in the midst of weather that has been like winter. No, I don't think the nice weather will stay around long, though. We are being told there is a chance for flurries when we wake up on Thanksgiving! I will think of you tomorrow as you speak before the group. The spirit will lead you, and you will be fine! Blessings to you!

The Furry Gnome said...

Very same experience with reading the kids books.

John's Island said...

Hi Happyone, Such a nice post here. I liked it from the get-go when you were thankful for one of your teachers. (I’m a retired teacher!) Pie and Praise is a great idea! Enjoyed all the photos. Especially the little Nuthatch AND your tree and sky photo from Sunday! Thanks, as always, for your comments on my blog. John

Jeanne said...

I too remember Little Golden Books. Unfortunately they were not saved.
I love your reflection picture at HT.

Anonymous said...

Wishing you the best with your speaking. :)

o2bhiking said...

I'm very grateful that I like reading as well. Lots of people don't but I do, and with a good book, you can travel anywhere. I really like the nuthatches - and their calls. You may even get the red breasted nuthatches where you live.