Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Friday, September 26, 2014

Day at the auction

Looking up at pine cones in my back yard
❤     ❤     ❤     ❤
55 degrees this morning and darker than usual because I left earlier than I normally do. 

Walked around the farm loop.  Two deer came running out from the corn stalks, saw me, turned around and ran right back in.  Saw a couple more farther down the road in another field.  They are in the picture on the left but hard to see.

Heard the rooster waking everyone up at a farm and the cows were out in the field again at the dairy farm.  No people about.

Walked past my house and around town.  It was cloudy once the sun rose but about 10 minutes before I got home the sun was shinning.

 I walked 6.4 miles.
Didn't find any coins today but I did find a large hook that came off a tie down strap.  I brought it home for Ken.



❤     ❤     ❤     ❤

We left this morning to go to an auction a little ways down past Cumberland and spent the whole day there.  We left from home at 4:00 and it was still going strong with lots more stuff to auction off.

Ken had found a few things he wanted to bid on but I didn't really see anything I wanted.  I stayed by Ken for a while and then just walked around.  Standing off in the shade a lady came over by me and ended up telling me about some things that are going on her life.  Things I'd never tell a complete stranger.  But people tell me things like that quite often.  I must look like a good listener.

Ken and I had hot dogs and chips for lunch which they were selling inside.

When Ken got something, I'd bring it back to the truck, until he got something that I couldn't carry.  I'll tell you about that in just a bit. : )

I went for a little walk up the street from the auction.
This house is for sale.  I love the brook that runs right through the back yard.  The house sits on 33 acres and cost $209.000.  Sounds like a good price to me but maybe not considering it is in the flood plain.
Anyway back to the auction.  There was a very tall radio tower in two pieces on the ground that Ken seemed interested in.  I said to him, "Please, do not bid on that."  I walked away and when I came back guess what?  Yup, he bought it.  You will never guess what he paid for it.  $2.  
Here he is getting it in the truck.  You can see why I couldn't carry that back to the truck.
Here is the rest of the goodies that we came home with.
  • Coal bucket and planter was one lot
  • Shoe shine box and tool box was one lot
  • Vice
  • 6 foot pry bar - which is very heavy
  • Dutch Oven - that one is mine
So that was our day at the auction.  I never know what we will come home with.  : )
We took the radio tower right up to Happy Trails before coming home.  

Hope your Friday has been a good.
A happy day to you.
happyone : )
Patience is not simply the ability to wait,
it's how we behave while we're waiting.
~ Joyce Meyer
Three Thankful Things Today
  1. A great weather auction day
  2. Ken didn't bid on a huge round submarine buoy.  Here's a picture of the thing.  It weighed about 300 pounds and was about 4 feet in diameter.
  3. We got that radio tower home safely

8 comments:

Kerri Farley said...

What can be done with a radio tower? Is Ken a Ham Radio enthusiast?

Happy@Home said...

I'm wondering the same thing as Kerri, although I'm sure Ken has a good use in mind. I've only ever been to an auction once and it was a long, long time ago. It looks like fun to see the various items being auctioned off and how much they go for.
I thought it was interesting about your conversation with that lady. I find the same thing happens to me often. One time I was waiting in line at a book store with a coffee shop in it and a woman started telling me about her problems with her husband. She asked me if I would mind sitting with her while she drank her coffee and proceeded to tell me what was on her mind. I felt unqualified to offer advice since I didn't know her or her husband, but decided that she really just needed a listening ear and that was something I could provide.

Nellie said...

I love hearing about your interesting day! You have a lot of pine cones in that tree. Are you a crafter? Sometimes people will tell you things because they figure you don't know who they are, and you will never see one another again. It's odd when that happens, though.

Ida said...

What an interesting day you had at the auction. I'm curious as to what you are doing with the Radio Tower. - Now that bouy thingy was cool looking, I would have bought that just because it looks interesting. It's good that people feel free to talk with you. Sometimes it's easier to talk to a total stranger then someone you know personally.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Looks like you had a great day at the auction... I wondered what Ken wanted with that big tower... Can't wait to hear more about it from Happy Trails.

When we were in Galveston, we walked in a little shop which had all kinds of old/antique stuff from the ocean ... They even had some buoys similar to the one you saw. I would have loved one of the big bells --but it was quite expensive.

I"d love that home beside the brook/creek. BUT---I'm sure it 'could' be flooded if the rains and storms got bad... Oh Well.
Hugs,
Betsy

eileeninmd said...

A fun time at the auction! Wow, that radio tower looks huge.. Glad it made it safely to its new home..I love the bucket and planter..Enjoy your weekend!

Karen said...

It sounds like you had a good time. That buoy looks interesting, but I'll bet you're glad you're not the new owner of it! You must have a gift for listening, and people recognize that. Have a lovely weekend :)

Meta/roses. said...

People will tell private things to strangers knowing that most likely they will never see them again. It probably is something she needed to get off her chest.