Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Saturday, March 08, 2014

A pretty day

The weather for my walk this morning was delightful and I had a great walk.  It was 28 degrees, no wind and sunny.  I walked the farm loop and around town.  I haven't been able to walk down the main street in town for a long time because of all the snow piled up on the sidewalks but now most of the snow is melted.  There is a lot of gravel that is put down on the road when it snows and it builds up a lot during the winter which makes for quite a mess along the sides of the roads.  The poor people who live right at the edge of the road.  Sure must be hard keeping clean windows.
Walking the farm loop I saw a couple of women walking a dog.  We walked along together for a while until they turned up Spear Road and I continued on to Farmer Bill's farm.
The three horses were out again and one of them came trotting on over when she saw me and gave me a little neigh.  I petted her and then I saw Farmer Bill out and he came over.  The horses in the picture from yesterday are sisters and their names are Faith and Grace and the one on the right is Grace and the one that came over to me today.  Farmer Bill told me that he has a buggy and Faith and Grace pull it.  He says that with the horses having names of Faith and Grace they will surely always get you back home safely. : ) 
His dog Oscar had run just run off and I told him I'd keep an eye out for him.  Sure enough about a quarter of a mile up the road I spotted Oscar, called out to him and he came running over to me.  I knew he would follow me so I walked back to the farm and Farmer Bill thanked me for bringing him home.

Walking down the hill back to down a runner passed me and then I saw him again in town.  I had seen him run past the house a few times.

I was just about back to town and saw a sure sign of spring.  A Robin sitting in a tree.  I had to zoom in to get the picture but just had to have a picture of the first Robin I saw. : )
I walked 6.2 miles.
♡     ♡     ♡     ♡     ♡
The temperature rose during the morning and after lunch it was nearing 50 so Ken and I decided to go up to Happy Trails and see how things are up there.  We still couldn't get up the driveway because of the snow, so we left the truck at the bottom and walked in.  Everything was fine and we spent some time walking around up there in the snow.  It was a beautiful sunny day and felt so good to be outside.

When we were back home I didn't feel like going inside yet so I sat out in the yard in the swing for a while.  Sitting there I called my friend Mary Jo to wish her a Happy Birthday.  : )  It was nice talking to her for a while.

I've done a little reading this afternoon as well.
Chili is on for supper tonight.
We have been watching a British show called The Last Detective which we think is very good.  Just got the next disc from Netflix so we will be watching that later.  It stars Peter Davison who played Tristan in All Creatures Great and Small.

Hope your Saturday is happy, sunny, and bright.
 happyone : )
Peace is not the absence of trouble,
it is the presence of God.
Three Things That Me Happy Today
  1. Spotting the Robin
  2. Walking in the sunshine on my walk and also around HT
  3. Talking to Mary Jo

9 comments:

Nellie said...

What a wonderful day you have had! I love the names of the horses! How nice that you took Oscar back home!

Has a lot of salt been used on the roads?

There was a robin in our yard this morning, though he was not the first one I've seen. There were not many birds singing, for some odd reason.

Enjoy that chili and a good Saturday evening!

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love the picture of the Robin - also the name of the two horses. That is so neat that you could find the farmer's dog and bring him safely home. What a nice day you have had! Would love to join you and Ken for chili tonight. Sounds lovely. Have a good one.

Beth said...

I am glad you had such a great day! I am waiting to see my first robin. Your robin is beautiful!

The Furry Gnome said...

Watching for the first robin here, but we still have huge piles of snow.

Kerri Farley said...

That sounds like an AWESOME day!!! The Robins have been singing to me every morning since the beginning of March :) They are wonderful to wake up to!

Karen said...

It sounds like a wonderful day. Although I didn't walk outside, I did sit outside and soak up the sunshine for a little while which was very nice. Your robin is beautiful! I saw six of them hopping around in my neighbor's yard yesterday, so maybe spring isn't far off.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Sounds like a very beautiful pre-spring day. Robins returning are a sure sign of spring near :)

Winter said...

I'm seeing the signs of Spring also, tulips are starting to push up out of the ground. I've been loving Winter, but ready for Spring. I love reading your posts, always makes me feel peaceful. :)

Vee said...

Oh that robin is a sure sign of spring. What a sweetheart you are for rounding up Oscar.