Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Saturday, February 08, 2014

Outside

14 degrees this morning, but no new ice or snow and it was very still out so I got to walk outside today. : )  Oh Happy Days.
Wearing my ice grippers I headed out the door and walked around town.  One of my ice grippers broke, part of the rubber broke off.  I walked a while with it broken and then it finally came off my shoe.  I walked a little with only the one but it was pretty icy out so I cut my walk a bit short at 4 1/2 miles and came home.

I didn't see anyone outside and only a few cars past by.
A few rabbits were around and I heard Lone Chicken and friends inside their coop as I walked passed.  The door of the coop is completely covered in snow.  Hope they are being looked after.

A few pictures along my way.


I showed Ken what happened to my ice gripper when I got home and he went to work with some wire and fixed it for me.  Don't know how long it will last but it should be good enough until I can buy another pair.  I bought the cheapest ones last time and I think this time I'll get a better pair, knowing that I use them a lot here.

I took a little walk in the basement and went another 2 miles.

We are getting a bit low of pellets for the pellet stove so we went over to the hardware store right in town to get another pallet.  The one guy wasn't there to load the pallet on the truck so we had to wait a little while for him to get back.  Meantime I went next door to the Dollar General and picked up some cereal.  Then I got tired of waiting and walked home.  Ken was home a few minutes later.

I had some sad news today, my Aunt Jean died.  She was my mom's sister.  I have many happy memories from my childhood when Aunt Jean, my two cousins Linda and Patty, Grandma and my mom all got together.  What a group we were. : )    

Hope your was sunny and bright.
happyone : )
Today, give a stranger one of your smiles.
It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.
H. Jackson Brown Jr.

Today's Three Thankful Things
  1. Having a handy husband who can fix almost anything
  2. Walking outside and seeing the beauty of winter
  3. Happy memories

9 comments:

Karen said...

I am sorry to hear about your Aunt Jean. Could you share some of your memories? I know I, for one, would love to read them. Glad you were able to get out and walk today.

Beth said...

I am so sorry for your loss!!
Memories are precious and the older I get the more I treasure them.

Kerri Farley said...

Sorry about your sad news!

Vee said...

Aunts are so often second mothers...I am sorry about your Aunt Jean. The good times live on in memory...

My daughter was just describing an ice grip that wraps around just the toe. I can't imagine how that works. You sure did get your walking in!

Rupasi said...

So sorry for your loss:-(

I need to visit where u live... Such a beautiful place!!! Love your pictures!!!

P.S. Mom said no to the oven, so I guess no baking for me!!!

Ruta M. said...

So sorry to hear of your loss. But glad to hear you have so many happy memories.
We seem to be having cone storm after another. No snow but plenty of wind, rain and hail.

Retired Knitter said...

I did check out the ice grippers when you first got them - not that we have all that much snow here. Comments mentioned breakage but that they worked great. Getting a more expensively made pair - and hopefully less likely to break is worth a try for sure. But at least Ken can fix them.

Sorry about your Aunt. It is normal and yet sad that the normal order of things is that the generation before us dies. Loss is part of every life. It is part of my self talk to prepare me for the passing of my mom. At least she had a long life. And you have your memories. As other commentors said, memories are precious. I lost a favorite uncle about 2 years ago and I still feel sadness at the loss of his company. Memories help but I still wish he was here.

Cheryl said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt Jean. I know how important good memories from your childhood are. I know thinking about them brings a smile to your face.

I especially like your photo with the gates!

o2bhiking said...

My condolences on the death of your aunt. How sad about the falling out with your mom. Life is too short. Every day, I wish my sister were still here. I am grateful that she and I were always close. Art