Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Monday, July 22, 2013

Food shopping

I don't know what the temperature was outside this morning when I walked because our thermometer is broken but it was a bit misty and warm.  I first walked to the post office to mail a birthday card.  The post office is only .4 of a mile from my house and from there I just walked up and down some streets and around the graveyards and the loop over by the ball field.
I walked passed the little pond in town and you can see the misty morning from the picture.
I walked passed some of the many corn fields around and notice that they all have little ears of corn starting.
Stopped to take a picture of these pretty day lilies too.
I didn't see anyone else walking this morning.
I walked 5.7 miles which was 11,075 steps for me.
********************************************
Today was food shopping day.  No commissary near so hopped in the car and drove to the Save and Shop which is 6 miles from home.  Oh my I had sticker shock!!!   Everything seemed so expensive.  We only bought a few things and left for WalMart which is about 15 miles from home. (about the same as the commissary was)  Prices much much better at WalMart!! (30 cents to a dollar or more for each item!!!)

I was going to mow the lawn when we got home but it started raining and it has been raining off and on all day with a few breaks of sun now and then.  Before we moved in Ken, the previous owner gave me a lesson on driving the lawn mower.  It is quite a big one and one I will have to get used to driving.  I'm sure my rows will NOT be straight!!  I still might be able to mow later after supper.  If not there is always tomorrow.

We still don't have the bookcases in the living room but I did take a picture of the chairs by the bay window that I just LOVE.  Sorry for the dark picture.
I got the curtains up in our bedroom too.  Again sorry for the dark picture.  The room is pretty colorful and it too will get a coat of paint.  I'm thinking a light blue.
Well, I'm starting to get a bit hungry so off I go to make supper.  We are having tacos tonight. 

Hope your day is sunny and bright.
happyone  : )

I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable,
but through it all I still know quite certainly
that just to be alive is a grand thing.
~ Agatha Christie

7 comments:

Vee said...

Yup, your grocery story sounds like ours. Okay to shop locally for sales and a loaf of bread, but worth it to make the run to Wal*Mart. I have no hoity-toity notions about shopping there. I'm trying to stretch a buck like most of us.

Fun to see some more pics of the house and fun to imagine you mowing. Get Ken to take a picture!

Kerri Farley said...

What a great window! Glad to see everything is coming together!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Looks like a great place to walk, Karen. Your new home is going to be so pretty.. You are doing a good job at fixing it up --JUST for the two of you.

Food prices at some of the local stores are much higher. Our Walmart is about 10 miles from us, but we go every week.

Hugs,
Betsy

Deb J. in Utah said...

Tacos sound so good! You have some lovely surroundings there and I love the interior of your new home! Sounds like the old owners sold you the lawn mower along with the house. That is nice. Food prices have really gone up the past few years - which to me doesn't make sense since the economy was so bad. Doesn't sound like there is much saving to be done at Shop and Save. Have a good day and I'll see you tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

You are doing a very nice job of decorating. Love the bay window and the way you have the chairs arranged.
Be careful on that big lawn mower!
MJ

Retired Knitter said...

Tacos!! We had tacos the same as you! In fact, my family loves tacos so much that when I make them, I make up 3 pounds of taco meat so there are left overs. There are complaints if I don't have left overs. :-)

Happy@Home said...

Your new home is shaping up nicely. I love the look of the two chairs in front of the bay window. It looks so welcoming and cozy.
Our WalMart seems to be the least expensive option too. My husband often goes there, but I prefer Super Target when I grocery shop.
Good luck with your new lawn mower.