Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Walking, shopping and out for pizza

It warmed up yesterday afternoon and after so much rain, all the wintry mix is a thing of the past today.  In its place has come the wind!! Pretty windy out there this morning and the temperature was 33 degrees.  The stream behind the church on the way to the lake was quite high with muddy water.  I took this standing on the footbridge from the other day that had ice on it.
It was a nice walk around the lake with few people.  There was a group of five people who I think were a family of runners.

I counted four deer and the usual lake geese, ducks, birds, and squirrels.

Someone has run over the cross walk ahead sign.  They came out of the Giant parking lot which is a one way IN to the parking lot and turned right and went on the sidewalk where you can see tire marks and took out the sign on the way.  Glad I wasn't walking there at the time!!
 I got a couple peeks at the blue sky but it was quickly covered in clouds before long.

Today my steps on my walk were 13,132.
Sunrise 7:26
Sunset 4:52
********************
Made that trip to the commissary today.  Seemed to be a lot of cars on the roads but not that many people food shopping with me today.  No lines to wait on and I got everything on my list.  Walking down the aisles I thought how thankful I am that I can come here and whatever I want I can put in my cart and not have to worry about paying for it.  That is a blessing!

I saw a short older lady trying to reach something and she just couldn't get it so I asked if I could help her.  She smiled not only with her mouth but with her eyes too and said, "Yes, and thank you so much."  We talked for a bit and then continued shopping.

Another woman asked me if I knew where the vinegar was.  I told her and we talked for a bit too.  She was from England and it was nice listening to her accent.  She is planning a visit back to England next year.
Most times when I shop I end up talking to people.  I find most people are pretty friendly.
How about you?  Do you talk to people when you go shopping?
********************
Each year I read the Bible through and have done so for many years.  I read a few chapters each day.  I like to read different translations each year and this past year I read the King James translation.  I finished a few days early this year and finished up in Revelation this morning.
2013 I am going to read the New American Standard translation.  I've mentioned that in my new planner there is a reading schedule which I will follow.

My jigsaw puzzle is coming along nicely and is almost finished.  Ken helped me with it yesterday.  I'm sure we will have it finished today.

Even though I have lots of food in the house, I really am in the mood for going out for pizza.  I feel like I've been eating home for so many days in a row and I'm really looking forward to pizza.  Ken doesn't know it yet,  but I don't think I'll have to twist his arm very hard. : )

Hope you're finding this day a happy one.
Happyone : )
Cheers to a new year and another chance to get it right.
Oprah Winfrey
Comment Replies:
Vee - I looked up Home Interiors Parties on line.  Seems they went bankrupt in 2008 and was bought out to merge with another company.  Read more HERE.
Debbie - So glad you like your striiv.  You'll have fun building and planting things on the islands in MyLand.

Edit:  I may have confused some people.  I DO have to PAY for the food at the commissary.  I was thankful that I HAVE the money so I don't have to worry about it.

8 comments:

Beth said...

You have named yourself properly! Happy One is a good name for you. You are a positive person and kind to your fellow man.

I love to visit with others when I am shopping too. My dad never knew a stranger and I think he passed that trait on to me.

Nellie said...

Pizza sounds good to me, too! Enjoy!

It was kind of you to assist a fellow shopper.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Karen, Can you believe that Christmas is over???? AND Oprah is right: we have a new year to get it right!!!! ha

Do you all get all of your food free at the Commissary--or is it just on occasion? How neat is that!!

George and I are friendly also when we shop... We do find people to be very nice.

Your pizza sounds good. We're having Swiss Steak and Veggies tonight...

Happy New Year.
Hugs,
Betsy

Vee said...

Well that was interesting about Home Interiors on a number of levels. I had no idea that there was a Mary Kay connection and I used to use that product exclusively. I wear no makeup these days. Old face...why bother? Ha!

I am thinking that at 6:05, you and Ken are nicely settled down to a pizza in one of your favorite spots. We had pizza last night because we had eaten leftovers for lunch and then had more company at suppertime and I really didn't have much to offer besides snacky things...chips, dips, and sweets. Not quite enough.

Yes, we do chat with folks when out shopping. Course we know a lot of people and John is forever running into somebody. Last time, I could hear someone calling our names and I looked around and saw one of my mother's dear friends, who is 83 years old, running to catch us. I tell ya. I have such admiration for anyone who can move like that at 83!

Debbie Jones said...

I was a little confused before reading your edit and wondered how you got all that food at the commissary, then I thought about it and figured out what you meant. I sometimes talk to other shoppers when I go out. Like you, I do try to be polite and friendly to all. I love how you read the Bible through every year! What a wonderful accomplishment. I read the scriptures most every day, but haven't never finished the Bible in only one year! Good for you. Yes, I am enjoying my Striiv. It is just fun to see how far I walk each time I got out. I haven't started playing the game yet. It has been a busy couple of days since Christmas. Pizza sounds so good, but alas, we had leftovers tonight! Have a great Friday tomorrow!

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

-chuckle- Yes, good thing you clarified about food at the Commissary. -grin- Don't want the general public to think that all Veteran's (and Active Duty) families, get their food free, at the Commissary. ,-)

It was years and years and years ago, but I still remember going to and shopping in the Commissary... When he was called up to Active Duty...

Tough times... We had just bought the store... Our 2 year old daughter and I had to go back and live with my parents.. Etc. Etc. Etc. But!!!!!!! We came through it!!! :-)

So I guess, those are bitter/sweet memories.

Hugs...

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to a new year full of cheer from Happy One! MJ

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Now I am craving pizza. I hope you have a wonderful New Year my friend :)