Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Monday, December 03, 2012

A warm day in December

This morning it was 38 degrees and warmed up fast to 50 degrees by the time I was back home.  Glad I left a couple of layers off.
I walked an old route with a few diversions here and there.  I walked up to the school and then around the neighborhood beyond there.  On the way back I walked along the trail behind the school.

A spotted a few deer here and there in yards and along one of the paths.
I didn't see many people out walking but saw a few kids riding bikes to school.  It was a pretty quiet but enjoyable walk.

Walking over by the Giant I found a lucky penny. : )
Coming up to my house I realized that the Fall wreath was still on the door so before I went inside I took that one down, got the Christmas one out of the garage and hung that one on the front door.  That finished off the decorations.

I walked 6.5 miles.
Sunrise 7:10
Sunset 4:44
********************
First thing this morning I baked a batch of Chocolate Chippers.  This evening I'm going to a cookie exchange with the ladies from church.  Last year no one brought chocolate chip cookies so I thought I'd bring them this year.
I buy old plates at antique shops and then when I bake cookies for people I tell them to keep the plate.  I don't have to worry about getting the plate back and they can pass the plate on to another or keep it for themselves.
We also have to bring a $5 wrapped gift for the gift exchange.  I've wrapped two dish clothes and four coasters that I've knitted.

It was so nice out that I hung my clothes outside to dry today. As most of you know I don't use a clothes dryer and during those days when it's just too cold to hang them outside I put the clothes on a wooden clothes rack which I put over the heating vent. 

The next thing I'd like to get done is writing out Christmas cards.  I've gotten the cards and made out the list.  Now I just have to get them written.  My list is a lot smaller than it used to be.  In years past that list got longer and longer and I didn't enjoy writing them anymore - it had just become a chore to get through. I was sending and getting cards from people with only a name signed and no news about them at all.  People I really didn't know anything about any more. 
I didn't send any out the last couple of years and its come to where I miss it.   So I am starting in again on sending Christmas cards - only this time the list will stay reasonable and be something I enjoy doing.

Hope your day is sunny and bright.  That is certainly true where I am.  It is now 68 degrees out!!!
Happyone
Christmas gift suggestions:
To your enemy, forgiveness.
To an opponent, tolerance.
To a friend, your heart.
To a customer, service.
To all, charity.
To every child, a good example.
To yourself, respect.
~Oren Arnold

8 comments:

Ruta M. said...

My card list gets shorter each year. I only had 3 to go overseas and not too many local ones. At work we don't send each other cards but put the money together to pay for something from the Oxfam list like meals or school lessons for children in poorer countries. Peter is opposed to the whole idea of cards saying it's just a commercial moneyspinner but I like to keep in touch with a few friends from the past.

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Glad you have found how to make the Christmas card thing, enjoyable.

Isn't it silly, how we push ourselves, to do things which are not meaningful to us? And we are wise to stop and think..... Why???? :-)

Kerri Farley said...

Oh those cookies .... Yum Yum Yum!
I'm doing a few cards this year ..... normally I don't do any at all.

Beth said...

I am with you on the shortened list.

Chocolate chippers sounds good!!

Vee said...

Oh I have been there...when cards were a chore. My list is much shorter as well.

Wasn't the weather lovely?! It made it nearly to 50F today and most of the ice is gone. Yay! Snow is good; ice? Boo hiss.

Suz said...

it was a glorious day here too
...but I didn't walk....darn....I promise I will in the New Year...
I need the lucky pennies :)

Debbie Jones said...

I totally agree with you on the Christmas cards. With a couple of exceptions, I no longer send to people who didn't care enough enough about me to do more than sign a name. We have moved a lot over the years and had friends in many places but ultimately, those who are truly treasured friends keep in touch and enjoy hearing from us. That trail you walked on today sure looks interesting! Those chocolate chip cookies look good! I made some last night and will make a few more batches before my Christmast "cookie sharing" is done.
Enjoy your Tuesday.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi There, It was almost 70 degrees here today.. Can't believe that it's December!!!! Our Roses are going to come back to life thinking that it is spring... ha

Hope you had a good time at the Cookie Exchange/Party.... Wonder if alot of people brought Choc. Chips this year since there were none last year????? ha

I still send cards ---and hope I don't have to give it up anytime soon. I would miss it also.

Hugs,
Betsy