Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Friday, March 11, 2011

Back to sunshine

All the rain left and in its wake left us a beautiful sunny morning for taking a walk.  Nice to see such a pretty blue sky after so much rain. My route today was around the lake.  The lake has been very low since they have drained a lot of the water out so work could be done on the dock/pier.  But with all this rain the lake was nice and full this morning.  It's being drained off again though so they can finish the work.  Lots of people out this morning and most everyone commented on the beautiful weather.  I didn't see any deer but the birds were all singing and I saw some Blue birds.  They are my favorite birds.  A few years in a row we had some in our yard and watched quite a few blue bird families come and go.
Here is a little puffed up bird sunning himself in some old vines near the edge of the lake. He let me get pretty close to take this picture.
There are a bunch of cherry trees along the path by the water and they all have buds on them now.  I'll take a few pictures when they are in bloom.
A great walk this morning and I walked 6.7 miles.  As soon as I got back home, the blue sky and sun turned to clouds.  It was like the sun was just out so I could have a sunny morning to walk.  :-) 
It was a good coin morning too.  I found five dimes and two pennies.
Sunrise 6:26
Sunset 6:10
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The other day I mentioned that walking gives me such a feeling of peace and contentment and I didn't have the words to describe it.  Vee wished I would give it a try.  So vee, since it's not every day I can make a wish come true, I will give it a try.

When I first start out walking, I say a little prayer of mine and then pray for people on my prayer list.  I always end by thanking God that I'm outside and walking.  Right away that puts me in a happy frame of mind.  I love being outside and breathing in the fresh air. Walking down a path, I might hear the babbling of a brook, birds singing, dogs barking in the distance, or the wind blowing in the trees.  Or I might hear the rain on my umbrella or hear the sound of it hitting the water.  I might see deer running or see them stop while we look at each other.  I see all kinds of wildlife.  There are so many  beautiful vibrant colors to look at each day. A blue sky, green grass, and flowers of every color. And those sunrises - awesome.  Even in winter there is beauty. I am thankful for each of these different things and when I am thankful, I am happy and content.  I may have problems or things not going exactly the way I'd like them too, but when I'm outside walking I put all that aside and just enjoy the moment.  It's hard to be unhappy when I am surrounded by the beautiful world God has given us.  I feel such peace when I feel the sun on my face or look out over the water and see it rippling in the breeze and see the ducks and geese sitting out there.  I feel special to be a part of all this.  I feel that no matter what happens during the rest of the day, I have this time that is all mine and when things don't go right, I put myself back in my morning walk and know that I will be there again tomorrow.  I have heard that runners get a high from running and I believe I get that from walking.  After the first few miles I get this extra energy and feel like I could walk all day.  After my walk I feel energized and ready to face the day.  I feel healthy in mind and body and soul.  I feel joy. :-)

I don't know if that explains it well enough or it just describes a walk, but that's the best I can come up with as to the feeling I get.  I hope that gives you an idea of how I feel vee. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm planning on staying home today again.  Hopefully, I'll actually get some housework done.  I'm going to try really hard.
I have to make some chocolate chip cookies for tomorrow morning too.
Here it is Friday already and I'm ready for some pizza again.  So I have that to look forward to this evening.

I wish you all a happy day.
A smile from me to you.
Happyone :-)
The world always looks brighter
from behind a smile.
~Author Unknown

10 comments:

Vee said...

Thank you, my friend. That does go a lot further than you went the other day. You know what? This book I'm reading might be something that you could especially appreciate. I'm thinking that you have an excellent sense of it already. (I knew that this one was going to be something that I'd want in my personal library; otherwise, The Library is just the place. They never have what I want either, but I'm able to get books on the interlibrary loan plan. Have another happy day!

BILL Chase said...

It ssounds as if you live in a beautiful enviroment, area that truly allows you to experience the peace and serenity of a concsious contact with the God of your understanding, with a peaceful and grateful spirit, you certainly come across as living with an "attitude of gratitude. Your words create such a peaceful, calm wave of serenity

Happy@Home said...

I'm so glad you took the time to explain the feelings you get from your morning walk. What a lovely way to begin the day by noticing the beauty around you and also being truly grateful for it all. I also think it's great how you pray for others as you walk. Once again, I am inspired by you.
Have a sunny weekend.

Barb said...

A lovely description of the peace and satisfaction your morning walk gives to you. Being thankful is a good start to any day.

Anita said...

There are two places where I am happiest:
#1 In church
#2 Walking outdoors

Noofy said...

Your description of your contentment gave me a feeling of peace. For those of us who remember the 60s and 70s, there was alot of war and a call for peace. Your description is the peace that was sought then, a small part of the environment in the life of God. I'm happy reading your post every day, gives me a feeling a peace. Amazing the bird you let you get that close for the picture, what a beautiful sight. Just a few more weeks for Spring, I can feel it. We have Pizza Friday too, does everyone? Have a nice weekend, peace.

Sue said...

You described this peace so perfectly. Thank you for sharing.
Sue

Cheryl said...

Very good description of how walking makes you feel. It's time to be in the moment and you take it all in. I'm so glad you moved to be near your wonderful walking routes.

KathyA said...

I think it's wonderful that you get such joy out of walking.

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Popped over from Vee's.... glad I did! Enjoyed my visit. Your walks much provide so much enjoyment, not to mention the much required exercise.

Thanks for sharing your glimpses of heaven in those unexpected places!