Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Monday, February 07, 2011

Ice around the lake

The temperature was 24 degrees this morning when I started my walk so there were icy spots where the water froze overnight.  I walked around the lake again.  A lot less people walking than there were yesterday afternoon but I knew or at least have seen all the people there. I stopped to chat with Barb for a bit.  The topic of conversation this morning with everyone was telling each other to be careful on the ice.  Most of the path was cleared and good to walk on but there were some spots that needed extra care.  Some places were sheets of ice as you can see by these two pictures. 

I just walked in the snow when I came across those icy places.  One good thing about walking when its still cold before the ice starts melting is that you know where the ice is.  Everything that looks wet is ice.  Once the ice starts melting, sometimes the ice is hiding under the water and it catches you off guard and that is when you fall.  When its icy you really have to watch where you put your feet!
All the sea gulls were gone from yesterday and the geese were back again.  Strange.
When I got back home the temperature had risen to 30.
I walked 6.6 miles and it was great to be outside.
Sunrise 7:09
Sunset 5:35
Make a moment of happiness for someone today.
Happyone :-)

9 comments:

A Joyful Chaos said...

6.6 miles on such a cold day. I'm impressed!

Rathi said...

It was a wet sort of day here as well... I think it rained last night or at least it drizzled here. The weather has been friendly lately.

karen said...

Way to cold for me. You are a strong women. Be careful out there.

Vee said...

Looks treacherous. That's what happened to me when I fell...it just looked wet, but it was icy underneath. Glad that you've been able to get out to the lake because you love it so.

George said...

Although you were out in the cold, I'm glad you could at least identify the icy areas and avoid some of them. Be careful on your walks in this weather.

Happy@Home said...

My goodness, I didn't realize I'd even been away and now I just read several posts and see I've missed all sorts of things.
The new paint job in your loft is beautiful. I agree about removing the painter's tape. Always a great feeling. I think those switchplates are going to look perfect. How could you not be happy in that room. I look forward to seeing it all put back together.
Glad you're back to lake walking and nice that all the walkers look out for each other's safety.

Cheryl said...

It was a great day to be outside. I can't wait till you don't have to worry about the ice. Soon you'll be talking about all the signs of spring. I can't wait.

Kerri Farley said...

I'm looking forward to the warmer weather ... hopefully that ice will melt soon.

Really really love that first pic of the lake a trees! Super!

KathyA said...

An alternative to walking in the snow would be to just slide down those icy walkways on your belly!! Okay -- I guess not! :)