Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Saturday, January 01, 2011

The deer were out this morning!!!

I thought I would start the new year off with a morning walk! :-)  I slept in a bit this morning so didn't get started walking until 7:30.  Even though it was only 28 degrees out I didn't wear two of my layers because I knew it would be warming up quickly and it did.  The sun came out and by the time I was back home 6.6 miles later it was up to 40 degrees and now as I type this the thermometer is reading 48.
I only saw two other people out, but I saw lots of wildlife!!  I counted at least 19 deer!!!  I've never seen that many ever in one day!! I saw two on their own and the others were in three large groups.  Along one path I saw three Blue birds in a tree and in a yard I spotted four Robins (I guess some stay around during the winter).
I didn't walk on any route, but just walked all over the place, some places I've never been before.  I especially enjoyed my walk today! :-)  Here are some pictures of where I walked. 





Sunrise 7:27
Sunset 4:55
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For dinner we ended up going to eat at Carrabba's, an Italian restaurant which is very good!!  It's only two miles from our house and right next to The Outback.  One reason I love living where we do is for all the great places there are for going out to eat.  Sometimes I feel guilty that we eat out so much.  I  think I should stay home and cook more often, but then I remember all the meals I've cooked throughout the years when the kids were growing up and think, hey, we deserve to eat out now when we want to. :-) 

Early evening yesterday we watched an old movie from 1961 with Natalie Wood and Warren Beatty called Splendor in the Grass.  What a depressing movie!! I didn't like it at all!  After that depressing movie we just watched some dumb silly stuff on television.  We stayed up till midnight to ring in the new year.  We usually go to bed around 11:30 anyway so it wasn't much different than a regular night.
 
On this first day of the new year Ken is off on his own for the day.  I am staying at home and going to have a do no work day.  I going to read, knit, and maybe bake some cookies.  I'll be reading blogs too. :-)

A very Happy 2011 to you all. May the new year find you being happy more than sad, content and not always wanting more, and being thankful more than complaining.
Find your bit of happiness each day.
A smile from me to you.
Happyone :-)

9 comments:

Goosey said...

Nice to see all those deer when you were walking, I didn't see any today but saw lots of birds. Have a very Happy New Year.

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

If you usually go to bed around 11:30 and are up to walk, at 6... You must not require much sleep. :-)

Which must be fine for you. I'm sure you follow your inner time clock.

Gentle New Years hugs...

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Happy new year Happy One!

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

Yes, I recall seeing that movie years ago and i STILL remember it as very depressing!
I love to go out to eat--we do go out more often than when we had kids at home--we sure couldn't afford it then!!! I learned to cook and am pretty good at it if I say so myself! I learned to be a thrifty cook--I'm going to post about it soon!
Blessings for the New Year!
V

o2bhiking said...

I love seeing wildlife on walks. The happiest of new years to you! Art

Barb said...

I remember going to see Splendor in the Grass when I was a teen! That IS an old movie! I like the first several photos with the lines of the trees, fence, and road to lead the eye.

Retired Knitter said...

Sounds like a great New Years Day. Mine was pretty special too.

Cheryl said...

I love your advice for the new year. And I love your pictures from today's walk. It looks like you took the path least taken.

KathyA said...

The deer have been grazing through our yard -- a couple of really huge bucks! They can all be aggressive at this time of year because of mating.

I remember SPlENDOR IN THE GRASS or at least most of it. It IS depressing.