Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Thursday, December 09, 2010

Christmas Cards

The radio said the temperature was 19 degrees this morning. Only today there was no wind at all and it felt much warmer.  A very quiet uneventful walk around the lake.  Just a hand few of people were out.  A few cardinals were around looking pretty against the brown trees.  They look so pretty year round with the red against the white of snow or green of summer.
The lake has a thin coating of ice on it now.


I walked 6.5 miles
Sunrise 7:15
Sunset 4:44
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today I made Christmas cards for my two kids and four grandchildren. A time consuming project but a fun thing to do. I also wrapped presents and I'm just about done with it all.  Just have a couple more to wrap.  We don't buy a lot of stuff so I am really not stressed at Christmas time. 

A lot of people I know don't send Christmas cards out anymore and I'm joining that group of people this year. It's not a fun thing to do anymore because there are just too many to write out.  I like to write a little something in each card and it takes forever.  Some people just send you a card because you sent them one. Then sending cards just becomes an obligation and I just don't want to do to that anymore.  What I am going to do though, is throughout the year, make a thinking of you card and write a letter to each person who would have been on my card list that I only hear from at Christmas. They will surprised to get a card and letter from me sometime during the year.

Didn't really do much of anything else today.  Just the regular house chores that had to be done.

I'm off now to make a recipe of Bean Soup that I haven't made in years.  I found it among my recipes while making up my shopping list yesterday.  It's a cold day out and just perfect for an evening of some nice hot soup. 

I hope this Thursday you found bits of happiness scattered through the day.
A smile from me to you.
Happyone :-)
I will honor Christmas in my heart,
and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles Dickens

7 comments:

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Hooray for you! Dropping Christmas cards!

I did this, years ago, because I never enjoyed doing them, and it was a drag. :-( I finally thought; "Why do I put myself through this stress, every Christmas?"

I spent the first Christmas Season, telling people that I was no longer going to send out Christmas cards.

You can just tell them, in that little during-the-year note, that you've *sworn off* writing Christmas cards. :-)))))))

It is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bet you'll say so too!

Vee said...

I swore off writing Christmas cards a few years ago and then got back into it when I married John. It's certainly fun to receive them, but a bit more challenging to write them. I've not yet decided about this year...we've written so many notes already...pretty soon the time issue will decide it I suppose.

Happy@Home said...

Your idea to write a surprise letter to people sounds like a good plan. I do like to hear from friends and family who I rarely see anymore. However, when I receive a card with just the persons name on it I tend to think "why bother."

It does sound like the perfect weather for soup. It's still cold here too.

Suz said...

I actually love getting cards...not so much sending them..but I do
It is one of those things that I feel is part of tradition
and lord knows they, the invisible they,
have just about wiped Christmas out of the public conscienceness
so cards it is...for a while anyway

Rathi said...

You are so right Karen. Sometimes these things just become an obligation... and your idea is just the right thing to keep the spirit alive... i loved that quote... have a great weekend. :-)

KathyA said...

Your idea is a good one and I'm sure people will appreciate hearing from you throughout the year.

I still send out cards -- I've always loved doing it...

Barb said...

I'm catching up with you after travelog for a few days. I haven't sent Christmas cards in years, though I often write spontaneously to people I think about. Those letters seem less like an obligation and more like a connection, I think.