Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A rainy day

Sunrise 6:52
Sunset 4:52
A rainy morning walk today.  I wore my rain pants and took along the huge golf umbrella.  Didn't wear my slicker because I would have been too warm.  For the first mile it wasn't raining, but then a nice gentle rain started and lasted throughout the rest of my walk.  I saw four deer, three together and the other one on its own.  All the geese are back at the lake today and as noisy as ever.  Huge numbers of them would take off flying from one side of the lake and go to the other side.  I saw that bird from yesterday again.  The head had gray on it too, not all black like I thought.  When it flew away it made a sound kind of like a cicada. I still have no idea what it could be.
Only a few people decided to go walking in the rain today so I pretty much had the lake to myself.
I walked 6.2 miles.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Giving Thanks Day Number 16
I am thankful for all the wonderful Smells.
Some of my favorites are:
Clothes dried out on the line
The streets after a spring rain
Baking Bread or anything baking
Lilacs
Coffee Perking (though I don't like it to drink)
What are some of your favorites?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It has been raining all day and I almost didn't go to my knitting group because it just seemed like a nice day to stay home.  But I did go and once I got there and saw my friends I was glad I went. :-)  The time zoomed by and then off I went to the library, just to drop off a book that was due today.  Didn't stay to look around.  Then I stopped in at the place where I get my hair dyed and made an appointment for next week.  Time to get those roots touched up again!  Then it was back home for a late lunch.

I did a load of laundry and one of the rare times I put the clothes in the dryer.  Though I don't use the dryer often, its nice to have it there when needed.  When we lived in the old house I didn't even own a dyer for all the 14 years we lived there.  I used to hang them up in the house.  That's another thing to be thankful for - my dryer.

BTW - Ken never did discover who sent that card to him.  He put it up at work with a note on it that said, "I'd like to know who." but never heard anything.  I have my suspicions but Ken doesn't agree.  I don't think we will ever know.  This is the second time that this has happened.

Since I only knitted two rows at my knitting group today I think I'll go and try to finish a white square this afternoon.

A smile from me to you. :-)
Happyone
A thankful heart is not only the greatest virtue,
but the parent of all the other virtues.
~ Cicero

4 comments:

KathyA said...

A smile back to you, Karen.

I went out for a bit -- to Trader Joe's and to get gas for the car. It took a full 20 gallons, so I must have been driving on fumes!

Take a pic of that bird and we'll see if we can identify it!

Barb said...

I like all of your smells. Lilacs might even be #1!

George said...

Our rain finally stopped this afternoon, but the wind is unbelievable. Perhaps things will settle down tomorrow. In the meantime I got some inside work done.

Gwendolyn said...

Good to be back from travels and to enjoy your post today!