Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Saturday, May 29, 2010

A name, a grill and a cake

We had more rain last night and it was a cloudy morning for walking. I walked 6 miles along paths and some streets through neighborhoods. Lots of activity and people out so early in the morning. I saw a deer in a yard and when I stopped to talk to her, she leaned her head to look at me and listened. :-) I saw blue birds, a hawk, cardinals, lots of gray cat birds, bunnies, and the fox with another squirrel in its mouth. He's getting good at catching them!!
Three yard sales were getting set up. I just walked right by. I already have too much stuff, besides I didn't have any money. No money finds today.
I saw a women bringing her twins for a ride in a wagon and stopped to chat with her. The twins are identical and almost 2 years old. I said, ah twins, double the happiness. She smiled and said, Thanks for saying that, I needed to hear it today. They have been double the trouble this morning. I thought a walk would be good for all of us.
I also ran into the older couple and I can now put a name to them. His name is Bob and her name is Petey. Her name has a story. Petey's real name is Martha but she says no one ever calls her that. Right after she was born her dad went to the races and bet on a horse called Petey's Luck and won big time. When he got home, he picked her up and said, My lucky Petey, we won. She has been called Petey ever since. I'm not likely to forget her name now!

Ken went off to work again this morning when I left for my walk. He wasn't home for breakfast so I didn't make pancakes. I've been eating two pieces of toast with a thin layer of peanut butter on it the last couple of days and had that again this morning only I just had one piece.
I did some things around the house and Ken was back home a little after 11.
In the afternoon we went out and did a few errands. A stop at the library, Lowe's to buy a little charcoal grill for the deck, and the bookstore to buy a magazine for my Secret Sister. (Southern Living)

When we got back home Ken started baking my birthday cake. He is doing it all on his own. I got to lick the beaters!! :-) The cake is a chocolate fudge layer cake. He cuts the two layers in half for four layers. Some layers get chocolate pudding, others get raspberry jam. Then the whole thing is covered with real whipped cream. He has made it for me other years and it is always sooooo delicious!!! I can hardly wait for tomorrow to eat it. My birthday is the REAL Memorial Day, May 30!! When I was a little girl my father told me everyone put their flags out just for me. Being a little girl I actually believed him then. :-)

I put our new mini grill together all on my own this afternoon. :-) Isn't it a cute little thing? Just perfect for the two of us.
A picture of the cake will be posted tomorrow!

In just a bit we will be going out again to Weis for ice cream and food to cook on the new grill for Monday when we will have our own little BBQ on the deck. I'm sure we will stop somewhere for supper too.

I hope you are enjoying your Saturday.
Happyone :-)
I base most of my fashion sense on what doesn't itch.
~Gilda Radner

5 comments:

Vee said...

Gee, that's what I base most of my fashion sense on, too. I still miss Gilda.

Yes, very cute little grill. ;D

Have fun this weekend...

George said...

Happy Birthday! The cake sounds delicious and I know you will enjoy it. I'm sure you will also enjoy the grill.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Helen said...

Happy birthday Karen. How sweet of your husband to make the cake :)

Ruta M. said...

I hope you have a wonderful birthday.That cake sounds really tasty. I have to give my family LOTS of reminders so that they don't forget my birthday and I can't remember when I last had a cake for my birthday.

Pamie G. said...

Happy Birthday my sweet friend!!! Love, Pamie