Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Friday, January 02, 2015

Glass Banks

☀     ☀     ☀     ☀
Left the house at 7:30 for my walk this morning and sunrise was 7:38.  24 degrees and windy.  Mostly cloudy but some sun once in a while too. 
Stayed around town because of the wind.  Walked up and down all the streets in town and around the cemeteries.

Down the end of the street in the picture by the barn the two horses were out.  Across from the barn is the Drane House.

A couple of black Labs were lose and running all over town.  They looked at me a few times but never came near me.  Their owner finally captured them and brought them back home.

Didn't get to walk yesterday so it was nice getting a full walk in today.
I walked 6.2 miles.
Found my first coin of the year, a lucky penny - heads up.

Added up the coins for last month, December which was 42 cents.  3 dimes, 1 nickel, and  7 pennies.
The total for the year of 2014 was pretty low, in fact the lowest of all the years with only $4.92 cents.
That added to the previous years the grand total of coins I've found is $235.25.  That is since 1988.  That is only the coins.  I've found a few dollar bills once in a while and the most I've found is a 20 dollar bill.

For those of you who don't know and are wondering what I do with the coins, I keep them in old glass banks.  These contain all $235.25.
 ☀     ☀     ☀     ☀
I got everything cleaned up last night after the open house.  Everyone was very neat and it really wasn't bad. Nice to have considerate guests. : )

Today I took down the Christmas tree and all the decorations and I'm happy to say the house is back to normal.  Hard to believe the holidays have come and gone already. 

This year I read 44 books.  I aimed for 52, one a week but didn't quite make it.  I'll try again for 52 this year.

Ken thought it would be a good idea to go out to Uno's for supper tonight after all the time we've spent in the kitchen lately.  Sounded like a great idea to me so off we went. I ordered The Wedge salad and a baked potato.  I did have the butter and sour cream on my potato, but didn't eat all that they gave me.
Having the usual evening at home.  So nice and cozy inside with the pellet stove.  I like to sit in this chair right next to it.
Hope your day was happy and  bright.
happyone : )
Let go of yesterday.
Let today be a new beginning 
and be the best that you can,
and you'll get to where God wants you to be.
~ Joel Osteen

Take a guess on how many steps I've taken in  2014.
This isn't JUST my morning walk,
but ALL the steps I've taken.
I'll tell you the total tomorrow.

EDIT:  CORRECTION
Started putting coins in the banks in
1997
NOT 1988

8 comments:

The Furry Gnome said...

I'm going to guess 650,000. By the time you do your 6 miles a day plus al your regular days, it must be at least that!

Kerri Farley said...

My guess may be way to high - but I averaged it on about 9500 steps per day for 365 days. That comes out to: 3,467,500 steps - which seems quite high! Can't wait to find out what it is!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Your reading nook looks so cozy! I love it! You read a bit more than me this year - I got to 37 books - which is a record year for me. Trying for even more next year, but won't fret if I don't make it. I love what you do with the coins you find walking. Charly and I figure that we walk about 600 miles a year - 2 miles a day x about 300 days a years. I have no idea how many steps I take since my striiv died :-( and I haven't replaced it. Hope you have a great weekend. Glad the open house went well.

John's Island said...

I'm going to guess about 4,000,000. I'm basing that on 2000 steps per mile and then considering the distance of your daily walks. Can't wait to hear the answer. By the way, thinking back over 2014, I would say one of the lucky things that happened to me was finding your blog. You truly have a most interesting way of sharing your daily routine. The idea of putting the coins in glass banks is so cool. It's amazing how you have done that so consistently since 88. I have to ask a question :-) Did you ever find a silver dollar or one of the newer one dollar coins? Thank you for all your comments on my blog ... I sure appreciate them. Have a good weekend. John

eileeninmd said...

I must never be looking down, because I hardly ever find money on the ground..I like those glass banks.. Reading 44 books for the year is great to me, something I want to do more of since I have retired.. I like that seat near the pellet stove.. I will wait to see how the others do at guessing your steps.. Have a happy weekend!

Anonymous said...

The glass bear banks bring back memories. I'd forgotten about them, and don't know what happened to the ones my brother and I had.

o2bhiking said...

Stray dogs worry me - I like dogs but am very wary of a dog on the loose. You reading area with that stove looks like the perfect spot to ready those 44 books. Art

M.K. said...

Hey -- thanks so much for the link to this post about your coin collecting. I think that's a lot of money! Boy, if I'd found all those coins, they would be IN the bank :) At first I was so confused when I began reading this post because it's midi-July, and you said it was 24 degrees!!! And I thought, "I know that area is cooler than here, but 24 degrees!" haha :) January seems very far away.