Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Monday, December 24, 2012

The only recipe

A bit chilly out there this morning.  23 degrees but there was no wind at all.  Though I wasn't cold when I started out I wasn't warm either, that comes after about a mile into my walk, then I'm toasty warm.
I saw the sun rise but by the time I got home it had turned into a cloudy day.

I walked on over to the lake and it was like a Sunday morning.  Just a few people and hardly any cars on the roads either.  Down at the narrow end of the lake there was a very light coating of ice.

I walked down by the water a few times and took some pictures and just watched the ducks.  So nice and peaceful around the lake early in the morning when there are no people about.  I am so thankful that I live near this lake and that I get to walk around it whenever I want. : )

Didn't go right back home, but walked around the neighborhood a bit before going in the house.  Passed by the liquor store and found a dime.
My steps for my walk were 14,209.
Sunrise 7:25
Sunset 4:50
*********************
I was happy to add two Thank You notes to my thank you basket this weekend.  Though I never expect thank you notes, when I get them I can't help but smile and feel good.  Both were to thank me for the scarves I made.  It was especially nice getting one from Meghan who is young and that there are young people out there who are still considerate to take the time to sit down and write a note!
 ********************
I was happy that I didn't have to go anywhere on this Christmas Eve day.  I just know it must be a mad house out there.  I've been enjoying my day at home.  Only did the minimum of work around the house.

I made a Yum Yum Cake today.  It is my grandmother's (mothers mother) recipe and the only one that I have of hers.  I don't remember her baking except for this cake.  She was a simple meat and potato kind of cook - good simple food so don't think she kept many recipes.  I am glad that I have this one.  The cake is made with mince meat and is more of a fruit cake type of cake.  It is as the name implies, Yummy. I've put the recipe on line HERE.  I usually just make it at Christmas time and it always makes me think of Grandma. : )

I've gotten a few candles from people and have had them lit throughout the day.  The candles and the cake baking made for a good smelling house and a cozy warm feeling.

I sewed together some weave-it squares and have done a little reading too.  It's been a lovely peaceful Christmas Eve Day.

It has just started snowing - how perfect is that for Christmas Eve!!  Here's a look out of my window.
Merry Christmas Eve!!
Happyone : )
Away in a Manger,
No crib for His bed,
The little Lord Jesus
Lay down his sweet head.
The stars in the bright sky
Look down where He lay,
The little Lord Jesus
Asleep on the hay.

The cattle are lowing,
The poor Baby wakes,
But little Lord Jesus,
No crying He makes.
I love Thee, Lord Jesus;
Look down from the sky
And stay by my cradle
Till morning is nigh.

Be near me, Lord Jesus;
I ask Thee to stay
Close by me forever
And love me I pray.
Bless all the dear children
In Thy tender care,
And fit us for Heaven
To live with Thee there.

7 comments:

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

So happy you have some snow!!!

Happy Christmas Eve...

Happy Christmas...

"Auntie"

Vee said...

Ahhhh, magical...Narnia magic...perfection...Your home sounds so cozy with the baking and candles burning that I'm going to fire up the oven and burn a few candles, too. MeRrY ChristmAs to you and Ken!

Kerri Farley said...

Merry Christmas!

Debbie Jones said...

A perfect Christmas Eve...peaceful and relaxing! Merry Christmas and love to you and yours.

Beth said...

A wonderful Christmas Eve! I am heading now to look at the recipe. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

That Yummy cake does sound delicious. Hope your Christmas day
is as lovely as your Christmas Eve.
MJ

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family.
Hugs,
Betsy