Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Potato Soup

Rain on the Pond
✿     ✿     ✿     ✿
This morning it was 46 degrees with a light rain that came and went so I took along my umbrella and it went up and down quite a few times.

Started out walking straight through town down the main street.  My house is just behind me.
Continued on and went up Sale Barn Road.  Didn't see any of the cows in the field that I usually see.  They must have been in the woods.
Walked to the end of the road and turned around when I came to the house with the dogs.  Walking along here I saw a Bobolinks flying around, but they were too fast for me to get a picture.
Some pretty little wild flowers growing along the side of the road.
You can see little sprouts of corn starting to grow on most of the farms here now.  I'm sure the farmers like the gentle rain today.
Took a couple loops around the two cemeteries and then back home.
I walked 5 miles.
✿     ✿     ✿     ✿
We've been home today getting some things done inside.  A rainy day is good for that. : )

It seemed like a good day for soup so I made some Potato Soup.  A new recipe I found on line and one I will add to my own collection of recipes.  We had some homemade bread with it too.
Hearty Potato Soup
  • 6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 6 celery ribs, chopped
  • 8 cups water
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
  • 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
  1. In a Dutch oven, cook the potatoes, carrots and celery in water until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain, reserving liquid and setting vegetables aside.
  2. In the same pan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Gently stir in cooked vegetables. Add 1 cup or more of reserved cooking liquid until soup is desired consistency. Yield - about 2-1/2 quarts. 
  3.  
As you can see I added some cheddar cheese on top and the next time I make it I will add some garlic in when I cook the onion.  We both liked it and there is left overs for another meal. : )

This evening will be our usual -  ice cream, a little television, reading and knitting.

It been another good day.
Life is Good.
Hope your day was a happy one.
happyone : )

The key to successful aging is to pay as little attention to it as possible.
~ Judith Regan
Comment Replies:
Karen - The crawfish was alive and just a little ways away from a small stream. 

10 comments:

Mary said...

Oh that potato soup sounds hearty and delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe. :)

What a beautiful road, and the fields are so green. I love a gentle rain. So serene.

Anonymous said...

It was cool here today, too. Wish I had been with you, eating potato soup! Maybe I'll make some myself before long. Mary Jo

Happy@Home said...

Ha! I think there is much truth in that quote.
I wish we could get some rain here. We need it and it doesn't seem to be in the forecast any time soon.
Thanks for sharing the potato soup recipe. I love it and the addition of carrots and celery sounds even better than my current recipe. Can't go wrong with some cheddar too ;).
I saw that you had asked me where Brett stayed in MD. I guess it probably wasn't all that close to you, but at least in the same state :). He was in Havre de Grace. Hope I spelled that right.

Billy said...

Oh how I just love your daily posts! Its fun sharing your day with you.

doodles n daydreams said...

Oh, I just made my first soup for the winter, vege. It was cold enough today with a sprinkling of snow on the hills.

Diana

eileeninmd said...

It is a chilly morning here, I am thinking of you walking outside in the rain yesterday.. Your potato soap sounds and looks delicious.. I like the quote, it is good advice to follow. Have a happy Friday and Memorial Day weekend!

Kerri Farley said...

That soup looks Yum-O! and I LOVE the quote :)

Cat Lover said...

Your potato soup sounds delicious! When my kitchen is back to normal I will try the recipe.

Sue said...

Your photos are always so beautiful, potato sou is a favorite of mine, My DIL makes the best. your recipe looks delicious, I am going to copy it! our potatoes in the garden will be ready soon, Thanks for sharing!
Have a blessed Memorial Day weekend!
Sue

o2bhiking said...

The soup looks great. Glad you enjoyed it.