Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Betty Crocker's Cook Book 1957

Picture of the Day
Tractor and Trailer on the Farm
 ❤     ❤     ❤     ❤
70 degrees again this morning but no rain, just clouds.  I walked the Farm Loop and around town.  Stopped to talk to Farmer Bill as he was just about to start work in the field.  That's his tractor in the picture above.

It wasn't a good night for critters.  I saw a skunk, a mole and a snake all dead in the road.

A building I took a picture of a few weeks ago that was about to fall down and I thought it was going to be torn down, appears will be saved and rebuilt after all.
 Passing by another house I see they have stacked up quite a pile of wood for winter.
I could have used a rain shower today as it was pretty warm again.
I walked 6.1 miles.
❤     ❤     ❤     ❤
I made some bread this morning.  I used the bread machine for the dough but then baked it in the oven instead of having the machine bake it.  The crust comes out a lot better and the loaf has a much better shape to it. Just look at this nice looking loaf of bread!!  I made it for someone else so I can't even taste a slice.
I was looking through my old cookbook I had when I was a little girl.  I liked to bake way back then.  The book is a first edition from 1957. 
A few recipes that were my favorites to bake.
It's been fun reading my old cook book. : )

As I type this I hear thunder - rain is in the way.
Hope your day is sunny and bright.
happyone : )
No one who cooks, cooks alone.
Even at her most solitary,
a cook in the kitchen is surrounded
by generations of cooks past,
the advice and menus of cooks present,
and the wisdom of cookbook writers.
~ Laurie Colwin
Three Thankful Things Today
  1. A good shaped loaf of bread
  2. Lunch on the porch
  3. A happy husband

13 comments:

Nellie said...

I love the quote about cooks. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen cooking.:-)

i have a real collection of Betty Crocker cook books, but none that I would have used when I was a child. They have been my all-time favorites for finding dependable and tasty dishes.

Your bread is absolutely beautiful!

Happy@Home said...

That is a picture perfect loaf of bread. I have a silly question for you. How do you know what temperature and amount of time to bake it in the oven? I do think it looks nicer this way than when it is made in the machine. Somebody will be very happy to receive it.
I have that very same cookbook, but I bought mine as an adult because I thought it was so cute. How fun to know that you really cooked from it. Maybe I need to try one of your favorite recipes.

Kerin said...

Homemade bread is the best! I'm sure that the recipient of your bread will be so happy!
I use my bread machine sometimes to mix my bread too, but I agree that it's better baked in a loaf pan :)

Old cookbooks are wonderful treasures.

renae said...

hi Karen! Great loaf of bread. My Mom would do that. Her homemade bread was the best bread in the whole world, - right out of the oven with butter. OMyGosh! Memory flood just then.

I know those heels look deadly but I loved the look they created. The "gladiator" thing has been too much this season, but I thought just a touch of it made the ensemble have a 'tuff' ness about it. lol

Linda said...

That bread looks so good! I am allergic to wheat and yeast and I miss the smell of fresh bread.

Deb J. in Utah said...

That is a beautiful loaf of bread! I bet whoever got it sure enjoyed it. I am looking forward to baking bread again when the weather gets cooler again. I love the old childhood cookbook! So much fun to remember good times.

Ida said...

I want a slice of that bread! Your cookbook is so cool. Published the year after I was born...funny but it's an antique now so I guess I am too.

Ruta M. said...

I still remember the cookery book I had as a child but I think I did more wishing than actual cooking.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

We gave the rest of our firewood away this week... We have converted to gas logs.. (I'll blog about that sometime when it gets cooler outside.) .. I'll miss my wonderful wood fires in the fireplace --but it got to be too much for George and his bad back.... BUT--our woodpile was large like the one in your picture --since we kept fires going all of the time (to cut back on our heating bills)....

We love our bread machine --and it makes pretty good loaves --but not as pretty as yours turned out... Yours is PERFECT... We love sourdough bread --so we make it a lot.

Hugs,
Betsy

Anonymous said...

And a lovely loaf of bread it is! Someone else will be very happy when they receive it. That is quite a pile of firewood, it looks like they're ready for a long, cold winter. You have such beautiful scenery. How nice you still have your cookbook from 1957. It's like a trip back in time.

Kerri Farley said...

Oh that loaf does look YUMMY!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the turkey vultures will be eating 'high on the hog' with all that roadkill! The old building that's being rehabbed must have had some history about it that someone cared to preserve. That is most definitely a load of cut logs! Someone has worked very hard with that.

Your loaf of bread looks beautiful! I'm sure the recipient was very pleased. :)

That had to be fun going through your old cookbook. The ice cream cone cakes are cute! I like the quote you found, too.

Lindy

o2bhiking said...

That's great that you still have a cookbook from childhood. How cool is that? The bread looks yummy. Art