Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Friday, August 29, 2014

A new place for kayaking

Picture of the day
Walking up the hill on a sunny morning
❤     ❤     ❤     ❤
It was a beautiful sunny morning for walking and it was 50 degrees.  I got a bit of a late start and didn't leave until a little after 7:00.  Another random walk.  Walked up and down both hills behind my house, then walked down toward Happy Trails and back to walk around town.

These two little horses, Patriot and Flicka live up at the top of the hill in the above picture.  I stopped to pet them and gave the brown one a fright.  As I touched her we both got an electric spark and she took off.  I don't think she is going to let me touch her again.
Didn't see anyone else out walking but did see some school buses.

I walked 6.2 miles.
❤     ❤     ❤     ❤
Since it was such a beautiful sunny day and we didn't get to go earlier in the week, we went kayaking.  This time to yet another new place, Jennings Randolf Lake which is 30 miles away from our house. What a beautiful place.  With just seeing two other boats we practically had the whole lake to ourselves and its a big lake.
Here is where we put in the kayaks.
 We paddled around for a couple of hours.  Here is a railroad bridge that we are about to go under.  Up ahead is a huge stone and earth dam.
Here is where they let the water out of the lake to go down the Potomac River.  As you can see the water is pretty low.
We stopped along the shore line by some rocks and ate a picnic lunch.  Ken is sitting up on the rocks where we ate and took this picture of me standing on the rock taking in all the beauty. : )
We had perfect weather, sunny the whole time and the temperature in the 70's.  On one side of the lake is Maryland which is where we put the kayaks in and on the other side is West Virgina and is where we ate lunch.  You can check out the lake HERE if you want to read more about it.

We are home now for a couple of hours and then will be going to have an Amish supper.  An Amish man fell off the roof of a barn and got hurt pretty bad.  This supper is being held to raise some money for his medical expenses.  The Amish will cook the supper and the people that attend leave a donation.  I'm sorry the man got hurt but I'm looking forward to the supper and wonder how many people are going to be there.

So that's been my day so far.  Hope this day finds you happy and smiling.
happyone : )
 ❤     ❤     ❤
Reading yesterdays comments,  
some of you misunderstood about the yellow car.  
The yellow Corvette is Ken's (2005 C6).  
I have one too and it is red. (2002 C5)
❤     ❤     ❤
The best car safety device
is a rear-view mirror 
with a cop in it.
~ Dudley Moore
Three Thankful Things Today
  1. My morning walk
  2. Kayaking with Ken
  3. How Ken always helps me in and out of my kayak first before getting in his. So nice.

11 comments:

Kerri Farley said...

Oh what a wonderful day!!!

eileeninmd said...

It looks like a beautiful day for your kayaking.. The lake is pretty, beautiful scenery.. The Amish dinner sounds great, you will have to let us know what was on the menu. Have a happy weekend!

Nellie said...

What a beautiful day you had for kayaking! It's hard to believe there weren't more boats out on that wonderful lake! Not good news about the Amish man, though. I'd say you will have a great supper! I meant to comment on the beautiful tomato and peppers from yesterday's post. Our tomatoes have finished for the season. That always gives me a bit of sadness because there is nothing like homegrown tomatoes!

The Furry Gnome said...

That's a beautiful early morning picture! And I'm glad to see you're out enjoying that pink kayak too!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Gorgeous pictures. Hope lots of money will be raised to help this family.

Anonymous said...

Lovely pictures again! You two certainly had a perfect day for kayaking!
Sorry to hear about the Amish man. The Amish are fantastic cooks, so I imagine they will have no problem raising the funds to pay the medical expenses.

Lindy

Karen said...

Beautiful scenery. What do you normally pack for you picnic lunches? I hope you enjoyed the Amish supper.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hello There, I don't usually comment much on the weekends --but just had to write and say that your first photo today may be the best one you have taken... The lighting in that one is fabulous... WOW!!!!!

Happy Labor Day... Enjoy your Amish Meal tonight .. Prayers for the man.
Hugs,
Betsy

Jeanne said...

Wow... Beautiful photos. I have never been in a Kayak but it sure looks like fun.

Vee said...

Love that arms flung wide photo! Should be a header I think! =D

Oh so that was the reason for the supper. I have always heard that the Amish take care of their own. The man and his family must be so appreciative. I hope that he is better soon!

o2bhiking said...

Wow, what a beautiful spot for kayaking! I was wondering where that cool photo of you that you use at the top of your blog came from, now I know! Ken is being gentlemanly, helping you in and out of your kayak. I do the same thing. :^)

I didn't comment on the Amish supper but that sounded really good, and a nice way for the community to get together and help someone out. We all need a hand now and then. I hope the injured man makes a full recovery. Art