Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Home again

This just caught my eye walking by
✼     ✼     ✼     ✼
Another chilly morning.  49 degrees but it was sunny.  I can't remember a summer that I had to wear a sweat shirt walking in the morning. It was sure nice walking weather but sure doesn't fee like summer.  I could take these kind of mornings year round.
I woke up late this morning and didn't get out for my walk until 7:15.  I had a random walk all over the place.

Saw a few school buses around town this morning.  Don't know why, school doesn't start for another month.  Maybe summer school.

Didn't see any other people walking around.
Lots of rabbits around which is usual and birds too.

I liked how the old tree branch looked among the Queen Anne's Lace.
I walked 6.2 miles.
✼     ✼     ✼     ✼
I was starving by the time I got back home so made pancakes for breakfast.  Didn't have any strawberries but my pancake was good anyway.

Ken made yet another trip up to HT to get another load of rock and dirt.

 I've been home again today just puttering about inside and out.  I've done laundry, dusted, and moved some things around inside.  Outside, I've walked around the yard, weeded, helped Ken a bit and then sat and watched him.
 It's been sunny and in the low 70's.  A lovely day.

This is a petunia in my yard.  I grew it from a seed and I think is so pretty.  Looks more like a rose or carnation. I think it is called a 'double petunia.'  I planted a whole package of seeds and only a few came up.

happyone : )
✼     ✼     ✼     ✼
I'd rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world.
~ George Washington
Three Thankful Things Today
  1. The beauty of double petunias
  2. Enjoying puttering around the house
  3. That we have an never ending supply of stones and dirt for the patio
Comment Replies:
Kerin - I think the deer up here are white tail but not really sure.

13 comments:

Kerin said...

Hi,
thanks for the answer :)

I have to say, it sounds wonderful to have such cool mornings.
I am praying that we have a nice, long, beautiful Fall.

The kids here are starting school on Aug. 14th!!! Of course, we haven't had kids in school for years, but one of the neighbors told me when they were starting.
It is so early for here, but apparently, they wanted to take off a good long stretch of time for Christmas vacation.... so there you go.

Good thing Ken has all the supplies he needs. That will be a big savings :)

Terra said...

Your petunia is sensational. That is what the seed company should name it. I like your first photo with almost an arch above a cloud of flowers.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love that petunia! My dad always planted petunias in our yard when I was little, so they are a favorite. Of course it is simply too hot for them here. Love reading about your nice cool morning especially since will we be up to about 111 here today. Maybe the school bus drivers are out practicing up for the start of school. That is what they do around here, but our school starts next week. So long summer ~ now if the heat would just go too ;-) Have a great day, my friend!

Craver Vii said...

I sure like that Washington quote! And I like this type of weather, too. I could use a lot more days like this.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

HI There, I am not much when it comes to keeping Petunias alive --but I love that Double Petunia.. The colors are fantastic....

Love this weather also. We are about 5 degrees warmer than you... BUT--it's nearly perfect.... Wonder what we'll have in August???? Yipes... ha

Don't you love Queen Anne's Lace? It's so pretty especially when you look at the blooms up close...

Hugs,
Betsy

Nellie said...

That is a gorgeous petunia! We have the same problem with many of the seeds we plant - only a few of them will come up. Yes, I am certainly loving this cooler weather, too.

Vee said...

The sumac looks like a banner over those posies...very pretty pic. Well, all your pics are very artfully done...I like the branch in the flowers, too. Speaking of posies, the ruffled petunia is a beauty. Too bad the rest of the seeds didn't come up. How fun to think of GW puttering around Mt Vernon and loving it.

Jeanne said...

49 degrees sounds nice! We enjoyed the coolness in Alaska so much and now back home we have been in the 90's. They tell us we're to have a cool front Friday and it'll be dramatically cooler. haha I think they mean down in the 80's. Real "cool" huh! But for Texas that's not bad at all for August and almost not heard of. We'll take it!

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Hasn't this cool weather been awesome?? I am loving every second of it and I wish it would last :)

eileeninmd said...

Another lovely walk. The weather does not feel like July at all, it was chilly here this morning.. Good weather for walking though! I love your pretty double petunia! Lovely photos, have a great evening!

o2bhiking said...

Home sweet home! There are weekends where, after being at work all week, all I want to do is hang around my home and relax. Other times, though, need to be more active! Art

Anonymous said...

Very pretty pictures today - I really like that path down the cemetery lane.

Yes, it is a cool summer, and I'm enjoying it. Our temperature was 55 Tuesday morning at 6 a.m. Some areas were expected to be into the mid-40s. I didn't hear if any place got that low. I'm sure we will be back to sticky hot and humid soon enough.

I thought of you this afternoon while I was baking 7 dozen sugar cookies for a retirement party tomorrow! :-D

Lindy

Anonymous said...

Love the double petunia! We're enjoying cooler weather here too. Mary Jo