Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Winter and Spring today

Winter came back for a little while.  Woke up to 22 degrees, wind, and snow.  Just didn't feel like walking in winter weather again after it's been so nice so I turned over and went back to sleep and didn't get up till 7:15.  By then the sun was up and out but still only 25 degrees so I decided to wait and take an afternoon walk.

It seemed like a good morning to make pancakes for breakfast so that's what we had.

Home in the morning doing this and that around the house.  After lunch it warmed up to 32, the sun was shining brightly and there was no wind so I decided to go for my walk then.

Ken was going up to Happy Trails to get a saw out of the shed to use here at the house so I went up in the truck with him and then I walked back to town.   It's just three miles back to the house so I walked around town a bit too.  It was 40 by the time I got home so it was really a nice weather walk and I'm glad I waited and walked then.

Here I'm walking down the driveway at HT.  It doesn't look much like a hill but I'm walking down hill.
Thought this looked pretty so snapped a picture.
A crow in a tree.
Here I am walking up the hill on the main road to town.
I saw a ground hog along the side of the road and when he saw me he dashed into his home on top of the bank at the edge of the road.

There were a couple of people out at one of the cemeteries in town when I walked around it.  Also saw Sherry, my hair dresser drive by in the car and she gave me a little toot.  I'll be seeing her tomorrow.

It was really a beautiful afternoon and nice to be outside.
I walked my usual 6 miles.

My daffodils had a rough time of it with the snow and cold temperatures but I guess they are pretty hardy because they perked up a bit this afternoon.

We had baked pork chops for supper tonight.  I put some spices in Italian bread crumbs and covered the pork chops with them and then baked them in the oven.  Very simple and easy and they came out tender and juicy.  A couple of baked potatoes and brussel sprouts rounded out the meal.  Oh, and a nice cold glass of milk too.

After supper Ken and I walked to the Dollar General to pick up a few things.  Sure is handy having that store a half mile up the road.  As we were coming down our driveway one of my walker friends Mike, was walking by.  I introduced him to Ken and we walked to the store with him.  Mike was out on his walk though so kept going when we got to the store.

Not sure yet what my snack will be tonight - ice cream or chocolate chip cookies.

Hope your day was sunny and bright and you smiled often.
happyone : )

Sometime we regret, more than any words spoken, a silence not broken. 
~ Robert Brault
Three Happy Things Today
  1. Even though the day started out winter, it ended with spring
  2. An afternoon walk
  3. Starting a new puzzle - Ken found the puzzle in the back of his car.  It was from Christmas and he forgot about it.

8 comments:

Vee said...

I didn't take my little walk this morning because of the ice and snow. Never even considered taking it later. =D Will get back on schedule tomorrow. That incline looks like a long, steady one. Huff...Puff...I'd avoid that one. LOL

Beth said...

I think that you should have a dish of ice cream and a cookie! ;-)

Nellie said...

I agree with Beth. Why not have both?:)

The sky is such a wonderful blue in the pictures.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi, We had a big bad freeze here this morning also.. The Pansies and Daffodils did fine --but some of the Tulips are limp....Overall, we didn't have too much trouble here I don't think...

Why does it feel SO much colder when this happens --after we have had a nice, warm spell???? This morning, it felt horribly frigid --when we got out to go shopping... Brrrrrr... ha

Hugs,
Betsy

Deb J. in Utah said...

Sounds like a very nice day - winter to spring all in one day. Things surely can change quickly in life can't they, and not just the weather ;-) Will look forward to seeing your new puzzle. My puzzle is really going slowly...Have a good Thursday tomorrow.

o2bhiking said...

This is sure the time of year for wild weather swings. We came "this close" to putting on the A/C to needing the heat on this morning. Art

Rathi said...

I took leave from work today and spent the time in bed, reading. It had rained yesterday but the sun was out today. Although, we had a good windy day throughout. I will be reading again. I think, ice cream should be a good snack :)

Kerri Farley said...

Two seasons in one day :)