Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Monday, October 24, 2016

A Quilt Barn (8)

I'm linking up with Tom today on his The Barn Collective series.
Visit Tom to see other barns or post one of your own.
This barn built in 1937 or 8 and is owned by Dwayne Fratz
and is located on Accident Bittinger Road in Accident, MD.
The quilt block was donated by Linda and Hans Underwood
in honor of Linda's mother Martha Leese.
The block pattern is called Schoolhouse aptly named because it is right
down the road from the Accident Elementary School.
🚜     🚜     🚜     🚜
A rare morning when I woke up and turned over and went back to sleep.
So I didn't walk until mid morning after I'd eaten breakfast.
There was a mix of sun and clouds, windy, and 50 degrees.

Walked to the post office and mailed off a package to a friend.
Remember John who used to wave at me who drove the big mail truck?
I mentioned a while back that someone else was driving the truck now.
Well I asked about John at the post office today
and was told that he retired.

My walk was a different one than usual today.
The other week when I was up at the cemetery and looked up over by the 
school I noticed in the distance a barn and it looked like it had a quilt square on it.
It was too far away to see clearly so I zoomed in a took a picture.  
Sure enough it was a barn quilt.
So today I walked up that way.  Here I've just walked past the school and if I was walking the Farm Loop route,  I would turn right here.
Today I didn't turn and continued straight up the road.  The barn in today's post is just up a bit on the right side of the road. 
They allow you to walk up their driveway to take pictures of the barn.
After taking the barn pictures I continued walking up the road.
The farm below is the dairy farm I walk past on the Farm Loop, and I took this
picture from the road I continued walking straight on.
I thought this house looked pretty with all the leaves in front of it.
They have some raking to do!
After walking up the road for a while I turned around and went back to town.
The road does loop around the mountain but it is 7 miles with some pretty
steep hills to walk up.
It was nice walking a different route and I 
walked 6 miles.
🐞     🐞     🐞     🐞
Today we bought a couple of pallets of pellets for our pellet stove
which heats our house during winter and this should last us
through the winter.
Here the pellets are stacked up in a few different locations in the garage.
Each bag weighs 40 pounds so we got in some good exercise.
We got the snow blower down here in the garage too.
So now we are set for winter.
I usually don't spend much time talking on the telephone but today I talked
to three different people and talked at least 1/2 hour to each one.
With all that talking and walking, I didn't get much done around the house.

A happy day to you.
happyone  🎈
"Happiness is not a goal,
it's a by-product of a life well lived."
~ Eleanor Roosevelt

14 comments:

Tom said...

What a great quilt block, that sure is original. That sure is a handsome barn that you saw on your walk. Oh by the way, I like the Vette hiding behind the pellets! Thanks so much for joining the party, it wouldn't be much of a party without you!

Lowcarb team member said...

Just love the the barn ... great photo's.

I think you must have needed some extra sleep or rest, but you still managed to get a lovely walk in, as your selection of photo's shows.

Sometimes it's good to talk with family / friends on the phone.

Hope the rest of this week goes well.

All the best Jan

Michelle said...

As a teacher, I think that barn quilt is fantastic! I haven't seen one like it!

The Furry Gnome said...

Another nice barn quilt!

Lisa said...

I saw a quilt barn on an uexpected barn like building while I was traveling home this weekend. We were past it before I could get a picture. It made me think of you.
Lisa

Prunella Pepperpot said...

You are all set for winter now. Nothing quite like a roaring fire.
Loving the Schoolhouse barn quilt, very special.
Have a lovely week :)

Christine said...

Another super sweet quilt block on a very pretty barn! Great for all the teachers & pupils who pass it on their way to school!

Cat Lover said...

How lovely you have all these barn quilts so close to you Karen. Wow, you walked seven miles, then unloaded all those wood pellets? You are in great shape! You deserved some sit down time talking on the phone. Have a good day!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the barn quilt is gorgeous. I love the design! Great quote and photos. Have a happy day!

Kerin said...

Very cute barn quilt.
You sure have a beautiful area to go for walks in!

Gearing up for winter; something to put on the to~do list for those of us that will have the cold and snowy season ahead.

~K.

Melanie said...

Love those quilt block barns you are finding! The house nestled in the yard covered with leaves is lovely. I've never heard of pellet stoves. Amazing. Do you have a central heating system and these pellets power that or is it just a stove? Hope you have a great day.

Summer said...

A very lovely quilt☺ Happy Tuesday, friend♥

Pom Pom said...

I think this time of year is conducive to sleepy mornings. I usually feel VERY ready to get up but I've snoozed longer the last few days. I think we're hibernating, Karen!

Snow said...

Hi Karen, I left you an e-mail today. MJ