Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Friday, July 29, 2016

From the garden

✿     ✿     ✿     ✿
70 degrees again this morning but it was cooler and there was a breeze.  The rain from yesterday cooled it down.  The rain gauge out front said 2 inches.

Walked down the main road in town but went away from HT this time.  Then around in the industrial park, back through town, around one of the cemeteries and the ball park loop.

The rabbits are still multiplying because I saw 3 baby ones.

Stopped to chat with George and I saw Kathy walking.
I'm just getting back home here.
Walked 6.4 miles.
Sunrise 6:14
Sunset 8:33
✿     ✿     ✿     ✿
My Sunflowers are growing tall.
Ken was supposed to go and finally get the trees cut for the slab wood with the farmer who has the sawmill but because of all the rain yesterday everything is too soggy there today.

He went instead up to Happy Trails for a couple of hours.  I chose to stay home and have a relaxing day.

I walked around my garden and came inside with an arm full of good eating stuff. : )
Another bunch of rhubarb, a few cucumbers and a few zucchini.
I made a sweat and sour cucumber salad.
Sweet-Sour Cucumber Salad
  • 1/2 cup white vinegar
  • 1/3 cup salad oil
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon oregano
  • 3 medium to large cucumbers thinly sliced
Combine all ingredients
Cover and refrigerate at least 45 minutes to blend flavors
Makes about 12 servings and about 70 calories
I think I'm going to make some bread with the zucchini and found a recipe for Rhubarb cake that I'm going to try.

It was nice to have a relaxing day and I got some reading in too. : )

Ken went out to a friends house this evening.  I really didn't feel like going out so I'm at home.  I haven't spent much time reading lately and I have quite a few books piled up so I'll do some more reading while he's gone.

Hope you had a good day and spent part of it doing something fun!
happyone : )
"God is in the hearts of all,
and they that seek Him surely will find Him
when they need Him most."
~ Louisa May Alcott

24 comments:

Breathing In Grace said...

Once again, I've gotten behind visiting you this week, so I went back and looked through all your pics. They're great. Love the older one of the fox....wow! And, that ice cream does sound REALLY good. Was it? Thanks for the recipe...sounds great. And, your patio....just simply WOW. Y'all did a great job. HOPE you have a really nice weekend.

Vee said...

Oh now I remember a really good cucumber recipe you made last summer that I liked so well. Bet I would like this one, too. All that beautiful produce from your own garden. Something keeps eating my cucumbers. I doubt that I will harvest any.

Prunella Pepperpot said...

Love the cockeral, he looks so pleased with himself.
What gorgeous produce you have grown in your garden. I love rhubarb.
Have a wonderful weekend Happyone :)

Christine said...

Looks like a refreshing day and how good to reap the rewards of your garden! Nothing beats homegrown!
Loved the chickens at the barn in your top picture!
Happy weekend!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I love the cute chickens. Looks like you had a nice harvest, the zucchini bread sounds good. Pretty sunflower. Happy weekend to you!

Suz said...

Love sweet and sour

Happy@Home said...

That is an impressive garden haul. My vegetable garden this year has been a dismal failure. I picked two cucumbers and the plants dried up while we were in CA despite the fact that they were being watered. My four tomato plants are growing like beanstalks, but so far no tomatoes. I'm about ready to throw in the towel.
This salad sounds delicious. I must try it soon.
I love to use zucchini in chocolate zucchini cake at least once per summer. It is so moist. The only problem now is that it's a lot of cake for the two of us.

happyone said...

Thank you so much for you comment. Yes, the ice cream was good. : )

happyone said...

If you liked the recipe from last year, you'll like this one too. It is the same. : )
My peppers are doing poorly and don't think I'll get any this year.

happyone said...

Thank you. The rhubarb has really been bountiful this year. Stop by and I'll give you some. : )

happyone said...

So nice to be able to have a garden. You're right nothing beats homegrown.

happyone said...

Yes, a nice harvest with lots more to come yet. : )

happyone said...

Me too. I like anything sweat and sour! : )

happyone said...

I've never had chocolate zucchini cake. Could you please email me your recipe. It would be nice to take to a church function.
Sorry to hear your garden isn't doing so well this year.
We don't have any tomatoes either and the plants are still small, but they look healthy.
Peppers aren't doing so good.

Cat Lover said...

Great photos Karen! Lucky you getting two inches of rain. Still nothing here.
As Chuck and I were on our morning walk I found a quarter. I thought of you right away!
Your garden produce looks yummy! I make a cucumber salad very similar to yours.
Hope you enjoyed your time reading. I feel all out of sorts if I don't spend some time each day reading.

happyone said...

A lot of people think of me when they find coins. : ) I can't imagine why! : )
I like to get some reading in each day too.
We got more rain today. Too bad I couldn't send you some. We've been getting a good amount of rain and sunshine.

Lowcarb team member said...

Great to see those chickens, what a lovely way to start your post.
Your home grown veggies look super, nice recipe too.

All the best Jan

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

Seems we're all looking forward to cooler days. Enjoyed walking with you today

CountryMum said...

Nice chicken photos!

Lisa said...

Those Chickens look proud. I might have one pepper on my plant. Something is eating my bell peppers as they grow. One is hanging on. Your veggies look nice and I cant fnd rhubarb anywhere around here. Grrrrrr.
Lisa

happyone said...

The veggies taste good too. : )

happyone said...

I like cooler days but don't want to hurry winter here. It lasts a long time here.

happyone said...

Thank you. Nice that they stood still to get their picture taken. : )

happyone said...

Hope you get to eat that pepper.
Stop on by and I'll give you some rhubarb. : )