Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

A Farm Loop Walk

✼     ✼     ✼     ✼
Last night when we were at the Dollar General, Farmer Bill was there and I introduced Ken to him.  Farmer Bill said he didn't recognize me at first without my orange sweatshirt! : )

I woke up last night and just couldn't get back to sleep so I got up and read for about an hour until I got sleepy.  Then went back to sleep and didn't wake up again until 8:30.  That is really late for me.  It was pouring down rain so I didn't go walking right away and besides it being that late I wanted to have breakfast first.  Did a few things and then at 10:45 I left on my walk.  By that time the rain had stopped and it was just cloudy and 44 degrees.  While walking blue sky started appearing and the sun even came out for a little while.  How nice to feel the sun on my face after a week.

First went to the post office and mailed off the last of the Christmas cards.  Nice to be finished and have them on the way and in time to arrive before Christmas.

I walked the Farm Loop.  So nice out that way.  Quiet too and no cars at all passed me.  No school buses either walking down the school road.
A couple of pictures along the way.

Passing by the school I heard laughter and saw kids playing on the playground.  Something nice about children's laughter.  You can't help but smile. : )

Walked around town and the loop around the ball park before heading back home.  A nice walk of 6.2 miles.

Home in time for lunch and afterwards I did some knitting.  I'm working on the yellow baby sweater.  The baby I'm making it for is due in February.

The book I started yesterday is a P D James mystery, The Murder Room.  I've read some books of hers before and liked them.  So far this too is a good one.

Making another batch of Pumpkin Breads and they're baking in the oven right now. These will be for our neighbors.  I think the little loafs make nice gifts. 

And that's been my day so far.
Hope your day brings you joy and contentment.
happyone : )
It came without ribbons. It came without tags.
It came without packages, boxes, or bags.....
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before.
Maybe Christmas he thought
doesn't come from a store.
Maybe Christmas....
perhaps.....
means a little bit more.
~ Dr Seuss
How the Grinch Stole Christmas

13 comments:

Nellie said...

We had 2/10 inch of rain overnight and dense fog this morning. For a brief time, there was some sunshine, but the clouds have overtaken the sky now. Temperatures are presently near 50 degrees.

It's such a good thing that you were able to get out for your walk after the rain cleared. Very thoughtful of you to think of your neighbors. They will love your pumpkin bread!

Kerin said...

As always, I enjoyed your pictures and your recounting of your daily walk.
Pumpkin bread sounds delish... I am sure your neighbors will appreciate it!

Merry Christmas, my friend.

~K.

Dianna said...

I thought of you today when I saw the sun coming out! :) I've been doing some baking today...did a little crocheting and had a nice dinner ready when hubby got home from work. I loved hearing about your day...especially that pumpkin bread. Those small loaves do make nice gifts.

eileeninmd said...

Pretty scenes from your walk! The Pumpkin bread sounds like a great gift to me.. I love the Grinch quote.. Enjoy your evening!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Sounds like a nice change to walk a little later. I sometimes read when i can't go to sleep as well. Reading usually relaxes me. I have heard that the worst thing for sleeplessness is to get on the computer. Something about watching a screen makes sleep less likely. That pumpkin bread sounds so good!

Suz said...

nice walk......

Ruth Hiebert said...

I like reading about your days. You seem to get lots done,yet find time to relax.Have a great rest of the week.

Kerri Farley said...

PD James is one of my FAVORITE authors - sadly she recently passed away. If you like her and Agatha Christie - I think you would like Ruth Rendell's "Inspector Wexford" mysteries. She writes others but her "Wexfords" are the BEST!

John's Island said...

Hi Happyone, I was looking at the comments above and just had to second Ruth's comment. It's so true. Your days seem peaceful and relaxed. I absolutely love that second picture today ... out on the Farm Loop. Honestly, if I was walking out there I would just want to stay all day. : - ) Thank you for sharing your blog. John

The Furry Gnome said...

I'd enjoy a little sunshine too, even if briefly!

Vee said...

Oh you've been under this weather cloud, too. I didn't realize it extended so far south. It would be positively depressing without the Christmas lights.

o2bhiking said...

That's the nice thing about being retired - you can set your own schedule. I hope to find out for myself some day. :^)

I laughed about your comment about your Bill not recognizing you. That happens all of the time with my Team in Training friends. When we meet for a run or walk, we are in workout stuff, hair pulled back for the women, hat over our eyes, kind of grungy. We meet the same person in a store and we they look familiar, but we can't place them.

Anonymous said...

A bit of sunshine is especially welcome after cold, gray days. The bake sale did really well! (I've read several posts in one visit.) I think I'd have second thoughts of going outside if I found out it was only 22! Glad you found something to help protect your skin.