Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Friday, September 12, 2014

Leaves

Picture of the Day
Autumn Leaves
❤     ❤     ❤     ❤
This morning on my walk the temperature was 55 degrees.  It was cloudy and for the 4 miles of my walk it was misty.  I didn't get soaked but was just a bit damp. 

I walked the Farm Loop and saw the usual cows, chickens, and farm cats.  No people about and all along the road between the farms not even a car came by.  I love it when it's quiet like that. 

Cars and people once I got back to town but no one out walking.  
I walked 6.2 miles.
Sunrise - 6:56
Sunset -  7:31
❤     ❤     ❤     ❤
The number of letters I've been writing to the prisoners around the country for my church has been growing and I've made a filing system to keep all the letters in order.  Most of them I just write once and never hear back.  Those I keep in a notebook.  I've heard back from a few and those I've put in a file.  I look up the prisons on line to see where my prisoners are.  Sometimes there are even lists of the prisoners and I can see their picture and what they are in for.

My friend Bernice who lives in NJ and I have been playing phone tag for the last few weeks and today we finally hooked up and spent quite a while catching up.

The weather finally cleared up in the afternoon and was sunny and cool.  I went outside and did a little weeding.

Hope this Friday finds you happy and enjoying your day.
happyone : )
Friends are relatives you make for yourself.
~ Eustache Deschamps 
Three Thankful Things Today
  1. My friend Bernice 
  2. Quiet walks
  3. A mini box of junior mints

12 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Karen ~ checking in to say hello on Friday afternoon. I love that you are writing to the prisoners. Maybe you have said what you write to them about, but I missed that. I am sure that you write to them about faith and Jesus, but what other kinds of things do you say to them. Such a wonderful act of service.
Hope you have had a great week. Hope to check in again before long.

o2bhiking said...

It is nice that you write the prisoners. Most of them will be out in society at some point, and maybe a letter from you will be the little thing that makes a difference and gets them going in the right direction.

I'm glad you had a good walk. Enjoy your weekend.
Art

Kerri Farley said...

LOVE your Leaves :)

Jeanne said...

It was in the high 30's here last night. Way too early for this!!

eileeninmd said...

A quiet walk sounds nice! The fall leaf is pretty. You are very nice to write to the prisoners, I am sure your letters are appreciated.. Happy weekend!

Sue said...

Beautiful photos, your walking temps.seem perfect to me. I too love the peace and quiet when out side, especially while I walk.
I think writing those letters is such a wonderful ministry, may the Lord bless you as you minister to these prisoners, you may never know of how a life is changed just by an encouraging word. I am reminded of the apostles while in prison especially the Apostle Paul and of how getting a letter must have meant so much to him. Thank you for sharing!
A word about friends, i think they are one of God's special gifts to us as we journey through this life.

I want to apologize for my absence here in blogland this summer, it has been so busy and we have had so many changes going on, but for now things seem to be slowing down, and for this I am so thankful.
Enjoy your weekend,
Blessings, Sue

Happy@Home said...

You are so kind to write letters to the prisoners. I think in many cases they would be happy to know that someone cares about them enough to do this.
So great that you and Bernice finally connected and got caught up.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I have a friend who works with the Prison Ministry in her church. She goes to the jail on certain nights and watches the children of prisoners --so that their spouse can visit the one in jail. My friend says that the children are in such need of LOVE... Kinda sad...

Love your 'picture of the day'... Those red leaves are gorgeous... Red is one of my favorite Fall colors --especially the red trees...

Hugs,
Betsy

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I love that you are writing the prisoners. Everyone has good in them...

Ida said...

Lovely fall leaves. I think nice quiet walks like that sound so pleasant. One thing I love about you is that you are thankful for even little things like Junior Mints (which are yummy by the way.)

Kerin said...

Beautiful Fall leaves. What a wonderful time of year this is!!!

Have a wonderful week this week. Enjoy the little things :)

Anonymous said...

I enjoy a quiet walk. I noticed a few leaves in our yard Sunday--didn't think to take a picture! I guess I'm in denial that fall is just around the corner.