Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Friday, June 27, 2014

A pretty summer day

Stopping under the tree
♡     ♡     ♡     ♡
After supper last night I went for a little walk and Ken came with me.  We went up to the cemetery by the Drane House to look for James Drane's gravestone.  He built the house in 1800.  I didn't have my camera with me so on my walk this morning I took a few pictures. This simple stone just has the date 1828 and his initials J D.
Right in front of it we found what must have been a newer stone added later and his wife Priscilla's gravestone which you can still read good, right next to his. 
In this picture by the graves you can see the Drane House there in the trees. 
This morning it was 58 degrees with the sun out and also some fog around here and there.  
I walked the Farm Loop and I'm happy to say no sign of the yippy dogs.  Today I must have passed close to a red winged birds nest because a couple of them flew at me a few times.  Dogs, now birds, what will tomorrow bring? : )
Walked around town too.  Didn't see any one else out today.

I walked 6.4 miles.
Found a dime.
♡     ♡     ♡     ♡
Today Ken stayed home to do some work around the yard and I took off to Walmart to do some shopping.  
Had lunch when I got back and then we did some puttering around the yard, straightened up the garage and had a few breaks sitting on the front porch.  The weather was delightful - sunny, some clouds and nice cool breezes.

For supper we are having Italian hot sausages cooked on the grill with some macaroni salad and will eat out on the deck.

Hope your Friday has been a happy day for you.
happyone : )
♡     ♡     ♡     ♡
A good example has twice the value of good advice.
~ Unknown
Three Thankful Things Today
  1. No yippy dogs on my walk
  2. Driving my car with the windows down (vee - I wear a ball cap)
  3. A nice summer day
Comment Replies:
Kim - Before we moved we lived 20 minutes from BWI.  Now we live three hours away. 

7 comments:

Beth said...

I think that it would be awesome to walk around that cemetery. A lot o history there.

Vee said...

You do seem to have adventures with the animal kingdom. You look cute wearing a ball cap. I'd just look ridiculous. LOL...

We had lunch on the deck today...first time! It was 52° this morning, but turned into a most delightful day.

eileeninmd said...

Love the pretty horses! A nice summer day to be out on your walk.. The old cemetery stones are neat. The birds can get upset when you are close to their nest.. Have a happy weekend!

Nellie said...

There is a lot of history found in old cemeteries. Interesting markers.

I love the picture of the horses under the tree!

Yay for no yipping dogs! Birds? The nest must have been nearby. Hopefully that bear won't appear tomorrow!:)

I'm all for breaks on the front porch!:)

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I have always had an odd fascination with cemeteries - especially old ones. You can almost feel the presence of everyone in them when walking through them.

Anonymous said...

The horses look so real! Mary Jo

Ida said...

Yeah to no yippy dogs!
Loved the shot of the horses.
Old Cemeteries are quite fascinating, a lot of history in them.