Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

A good book and a nice outside walk : )

Guess what?  It was snowing this morning when I got up!!  This is 6 days in a row now.  I do like snow but it sure would be nice to see some sun for a change.
After breakfast I hit the track down in the basement and walked 3 miles.  This time I listened to Meatloaf.
❤     ❤     ❤     ❤     ❤     ❤     ❤     ❤     ❤     ❤
I read a little book with just 135 pages called, The Reason I Jump by Naoki Higashida.  It was an excellent little book.  It was written by a 13 year old with autism.  In the book he describes how his mind thinks, feels, perceives and responds.  It is a book of questions and answers.
It is a wonderful book for anyone who is trying to understand autism.  
 I really got a kick out of question number 45.
Why do you enjoy going out for walks?
My guess is that lots of people with autism like walking, and I wonder if you can work out why.  "Because walking makes you feel good?" "Because it's great being out in the open air?"  Both these replies are true, of course, but for me the number one reason is that us people with autism love the greenness of nature.  Now you might be thinking, "Oh, is that all?"  However, our fondness for nature is, I think, a little bit different from everyone else's.  I'm guessing that what touches you in nature is the beauty of the trees and the flowers and things.  But to us people with special needs, nature is as important as our own lives.  The reason is that when we look at nature, we receive a sort of permission to be alive in this world, and our entire bodies get recharged.  However often we're ignored and pushed away by other people, nature will always give us a good big hug, here inside our hearts.
The greeness of nature is the lives of plants and trees.  Green is life.  And that's the reason we love to go for walks.
❤     ❤     ❤     ❤     ❤     ❤     ❤     ❤     ❤     ❤
I made some more chocolate chippers today.  This time they are for a friend I'll be seeing tomorrow. : )

After lunch I went for a little 3 mile walk around town in the snow.  I had to wear my snow boots and can't walk fast in them but it was so nice to get outside and walk if only for a little bit.
Snow on bushes in front of the library.
 Walked down a side road.
Walked around one of the cemeteries, one side which hasn't been plowed yet.  It was fun walking in the snow.  : )
I met Joe who drives the town pickup truck around checking things out that I see every  morning when I'm walking.  We always wave to each other but this is the first time we actually met. The truck now has a plow on it and he was plowing a parking lot.  I was walking past and he rolled down the window and we talked for a bit.
Back home again.
When I got back home I didn't feel like going inside, so I walked around the yard, cleaned the snow off the truck again, put some seed out for the birds and shoveled the walkway.

Once inside Ken made us both a cup of tea. : )

That's been my day so far.
Hope yours is a happy one too.
happyone  : )
A new star,
the Christ child,
God's gift to mankind;
these are what Christmas is made of.
~ Richelle E Goodrich
Comment replies:
OE - It isn't good snowman snow - the snow is too light and feathery or I would have made one. : )

10 comments:

Beth said...

I have a niece who has autism. Thank you for mentioning this book!
The photos today are so pretty!

Vee said...

Yes, thank you for the book review. It sounds very interesting. Of course, each autistic person is unique. Oddly enough, we know an adult autistic who walks miles every single day. He seems to have excess energy that must be burned off. He knows everyone by a number. Amazing person he is!

It must be fun to be adding people to your list of known townspeople.

Nellie said...

Yes, you certainly are having a lot of snow! A cup of tea on an afternoon like this was perfect!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I just need to move to your area if I want to see snow.. BUT--I 'can' imagine getting tired of it after so many days!!!!

It's beautiful though.. Glad you can still get out and walk some... I love to walk also --but never walk as many miles as you... I usually get 6000-10000 steps on my pedometer --but do it gradually off and on all day long. It's healthy for me to do it slow and easy!

Hugs,
Betsy

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I will gladly take all your snow and trade you our snow-free weather! As you know I am quite the snow lover. I am so envious!

Rupasi said...

I also agree with "Optimistic Existentialist"
I would also love to exchange the weather. Though it is cold at my place but snow is something totally awesome.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Karen - thanks so much for the book recommendation. I am going to get this one. I have taken several classes this past year on autism and have autistic students and also a couple of my own children have some "shadow autism" traits. There are several people that I know of, on my side of the family with high functioning autism. I love that you walk in your basement when you can't walk outside. I love these snowy pictures. We might get some rain today and it will be cold here - clear down into the 60s!! Have a happy day - I know you will.

Cheryl said...

I got a smile on my face when I read you listened to Meatloaf :)

I love how your house is framed by your neighbor's trees.

Anything going on with the house across the street? New neighbors?

Linda said...

Seems like you are getting as much snow as we are in West Milford. This morning the weatherman said that we should have clear weather through Christmas. I hope he is correct. When the roads are snow covered, I walk inside also. I have several DVD by Leslie Sansone. She has different walking programs to music for 1, 2, 3, or 5 miles. Seems like this might be interesting for you to think about trying. I think she has some great walk exercise programs. I just ordered one that was "walking to the hits".

Marianna said...

Your home is lovely.

I have a niece who is autistic so I'm always interested in anything that will help me understand her better. Thanks for the recommendation.