Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A summer like day

A lovely fall morning for walking.  45 degrees and the sun rose and stayed out again. 
I walked on over to and around the lake pretty much on my own this morning.  Very few people about.  Just a couple of the regulars.
The heron was at the edge of the water all hunkered down still sleeping.  A little later I saw the white egret.  By this time it was lighter out and he was flying low over the water - maybe looking for a fish or two for breakfast.  The geese made their usual morning racket waking up. : )

I took a couple little paths down to the water as I walked around the lake just to stop and take a look at how pretty everything looked.  What a beautiful morning!!

I walked 6.8 miles.
It was a lucky penny day. : )
Sunrise 7:26
Sunset 6:17
********************
I got another load of wash hung out on the line and did a few quick morning chores around the house.  Got my weave-it stuff together and left for my Tuesday morning knitting group.  No time for breakfast today.

A small group at knitting - only 11 of us.  We did a lot of talking as usual and I only managed to make two weave-it squares.  We sure do talk on a wide variety of subjects.  Today was knitting of course, but also movies, plays, world hunger, bears, cruises and vacations to name a few topics.

I left right at 12:00 to pick up my friend Mary Jo and we went to Applebees for lunch.  We had to cancel last weeks lunch so we made up for that today.  We ate, talked, laughed, and just had a good time catching up. : )

Once I got home, I took the clothes in, folded them and put away and now here I am at the computer.  I really don't feel like doing another thing until I have to get supper ready and I'm not even sure what I'll be making yet.  Ken plans on being a little late from work so I have some time yet to decide.

We didn't get that huge 30 pounder pumpkin carved yet but here it sits on the round table in front of the window.  When we do carve it, it will be an old fashioned jack o lantern - triangles for eyes and nose and a smile with only a few teeth left and a candle shining inside.
This day has turned out to be almost summer like - sunny and in the mid 70's.  Wow what a nice day!!

Hope your day is bright and sunny as well. : )
Happyone 
With the first step, 
the number of shapes the walk might take is infinite,
but then the walk begins to define itself as it goes along,
though freedom remains total with each step:
any tempting side road can be turned into an impulse,
or any wild patch of woods can be explored.
~A.R. Ammons

Comment replies from yesterday:
Anonymous, Thanks for the recipe link but I'm sorry to say that it isn't the one I'm looking for, though I'll give it a try - it sounds good! : ) The one I'm looking for has  cranraisins in it. 

6 comments:

Beth said...

It has finally stopped raining here and is 69 degrees right now, still cloudy though.

That is a nice big pumpkin!

Jeanne said...

Sounds like perfect weather alright. We are having to run the a.c. day and night but expecting a cool front this weekend. Can't wait! Walking with temps in the 40's sounds awesome!

Vee said...

I asked and didn't have any luck with B either. Wondering if you could make up your own recipe with the craisins.

Your knitting group sounds like a fun place to hang out.

Kerin said...

It sounds like a wonderful day. Full of happy moments, smiles, and time to ponder. Perfect.

That is a huge pumpkin!!

In the Spring, we planted some of a pkg. of seeds that claimed to be 100 pound pumpkins.
Our garden froze... 4 times.
Well, anyway... we planted again, and two of the 100 pound vines survived.
I'm not certain how much they weigh... but best guess from the men in the family..is that they weigh at least 75-80 pounds.

One of my neighbors thought that they were fake **hee,hee**.

Warm wishes..
K.

Nellie said...

It sounds like an "Indian Summer" kind of day! I couldn't have begun mine without breakfast, though.:)

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

30 pounds of pumpkin! I'm cringing at the thought of lifting it! :-)

And what better way to carve a Jack-O-Lantern, than a kinda' toothless smile. :-)))))) Do you open the drapes and let him smile out into the night? For passer-byes to enjoy too?

"Auntie"