Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Thursday, June 28, 2012

My new pedometer

Another nice sunny morning for walking, though it was a little bit warmer and no breeze but still quite pleasant.
I walked around the lake and the water was like glass.  
You can just make out a boat out there on the lake.
I see very few bike riders around the lake in the morning but today was the exception.  Is it ride your bike day or something, because there were 11 of them today!!!

One of my walking friends said good-bye to me.  This is his last day walking around the lake.  He has sold his house and is moving down to North Carolina.  He was leaving when he finished his walk.  I will miss seeing him each morning.

I saw the heron again.  He had been by the lake most mornings but I haven't seen him lately.  Good to see him back.  A few rabbits were around and I saw three deer too.

I got a new pedometer yesterday.  A Striiv and used it the first time this morning.   It is an amazing little thing.  It does so much more than just keep track of your steps and miles.  Check out this LINK if your interested.
As you can see here I took 12,401 steps on my walk.  Normally this many steps would be a little over 6 miles for me, but this said I only walked 5.7 miles.  I haven't found a way to adjust my stride.  But maybe this is more accurate than my old pedometer and I've just been giving myself more miles than I've actually walked.  I guess I'll just have to walk a little farther from now on. : )
One nice think about the Striiv is you don't have to clip it on your pants.  Just having it on your person or even in your purse, it will still record your steps.  I'm going to keep it with me all day and see how many steps I walk in a day.  I'm going to try very hard NOT to become obsessed with how many steps I take. 
********************
Went out to buy a birthday present for one of our granddaughters, came home and wrapped it and now have to go out again and mail it.  The granddaughters have birthdays within days of each other.  July 2 and 5. 

Other than that I'm home puttering around the house. 
The weather has turned hot again and it's in the mid 90's.
Hope your day is a good one.
Happyone
A rose can say "I love you,"
orchids can enthrall,
but a weed bouquet in a chubby fist,
yes, that says it all.
~Author Unknown

8 comments:

Beth said...

I too bought a Strivv. I called their toll free number and talked to a very helpful person there, asking about "stride length". She explained that when you enter your age, height, and weight in your profile, the machine actually calculates your stride length for you! Amazing what these computers can do. There are lots of features on this device that i'm just beginning to learn! Beth from Canada

Beth said...

I think you do a marvelous job with your long walks each morning. Just think of what you are doing for your cardiovascular system. You are adding years to your life.

Beth in Illinois

Nellie said...

How great to have a new pedometer! Keep us posted as to how it is working out for you. You are doing such a good job with all your walking.

Cheryl said...

I bought an odometer for my bike and had Dicks install it. They're called bike computers these days. Of course :-)
Enjoy your new gadget! Happy walking.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Congrats on the new pedometer. I wear two of them --and George wears one. He wears one attached to his belt and I got one just like his... It is also attached to my belt--which I wear under my clothes. However, I'm not crazy about wearing a belt --so I ordered one that is like a watch... I wear it on my wrist... Don't think it is as accurate as the waist one though... There has to be a way to adjust your stride.. Those things will do most everything except cook our dinner... ha ha

Hugs,
Betsy

Vee said...

Wow. That's quite the gadget! Happy Birthday to your nearly Yankee Doodle Dandies!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful picture of the lake and I am so jealous of you having weather in the 90s - we are having gales, floods, hailstones, train lines are being washed away, houses flooded - it's dreadful over here yet south of the UK has been really warm and sunny for a few days. Alas we cannot change the weather. I like your quote. Happy Birthday to your grand daughters.

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Oh WOW, that pedometer sounds good. ,-)