Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Monday, May 07, 2012

Walking, working and relaxing

A cloudy morning with the temperature at 54 degrees and it was great to be able to be up and out walking early this morning.
Just as I got to the lake five deer crossed the path in front of me and ran down in the field by the lake.  Getting to the lake I saw a heron fly low over the water.  Many times people ask me where I get my motivation to get up and walk every morning.  That right there is part of it! : )
I took the old detour through the woods again, which I do about the half the times I walk the lake now, and walked along here.
A few days ago when I was walking up by one of the parking lots around the lake there was a hopscotch board drawn in chalk on the sidewalk.  As I walked along I jumped in the lines.  A woman was just getting out of her car and laughed and said to me, "I love that you jumped the hopscotch board."  I said, "I just couldn't resist." and kept on walking.  Today I saw her again in the same spot laughed and said to her, "The hopscotch board is gone."  She told me that when she saw me the other day hop the board it brought back happy childhood memories and thanked me.  She told me she wrote about it on her facebook page and it got lots of comments about people recalling their childhood and how we should enjoy the little things in life every day. Funny how just doing a little thing like that can make others happy! : )
So now I have a new walking friend, Mary.

Mondays I usually see few people around the lake and that was how it was today.
I saw a couple of rabbits and this is the first ground hog I've seen in a long time.  He stayed still long enough so that I could get a picture of him.
I walked 6.4 miles.
********************
I had breakfast and then headed out the door to do some more outside work at the old house.  I had left piles of leaves and grass around on Saturday and today I bagged them up.  Raked and bagged some more and did more weeding too.  Sometimes it is just so sad to see the state this yard is in because I used to take such good care of it.  I was always outside doing something when the weather was nice.  The getting the house ready for sale has been put on the back burner for a while because we are concentrating on the building on the land.  But now we will be able to keep more stuff from the old house because we can move it up to the land and use it there.  The house will be get sold all in good time.  Tomorrow is yard waste recycling day so I just left the five bags out by the curb.

I was going to take something along with me for lunch but I forgot so I came home for lunch.  It was just as well because I didn't feel like doing anymore outside work anyway. :-)

So now I'm home, had lunch, did a few things around the house and now it's time for some relaxation.
********************
We watched a couple of good Netflix movies over the weekend.  The first one was Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont.  The story is about an older lady who moves into a hotel to be near to her family and being recently widowed.  She waits and waits for them to visit an in the meantime meets a young man and a friendship starts.  A great movie which made me laugh and cry.

The other movie was War Horse.  Its a WWI drama which centers on a boy from Devon, England and the bond between his horse Joey who is sold to the cavalry and sent off to France.  It is predictable but good and I enjoyed it.  This one made me cry too.

Hope all is well in your part of the word and that you found happiness in your day today.
Happyone
The really happy person is one who can enjoy
the scenery when on a detour.
~Unknown

6 comments:

Beth said...

Coincidence, I talked to my sis in WV this morning and she talked about watching War Horse yesterday.

Nice that you brought back memories for someone yesterday. I saw a bin of hula hoops in a store today and I wondered if I could still do that. LOL

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

'Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont' That sounds delightful! Neat story line, and Joan Plowright too!!!

Thank you.

Diane in AL said...

What a delightful looking "old" house. Old houses have a charm that can not be reproduced in a new one.
Wish it was in my neighborhood, I would be watching for a "for sale" sign.
I always enjoy reading your blog

Diane

Retired Knitter said...

Love the picture of your old house.

Anonymous said...

The hopscotch story is delightful. Oh, and the groundhog picture is great.MJ

Anonymous said...

The groundhog looks a nice creature - how great that you got to take his picture. I just love your old house it is so pretty - is it situated in the countryside?