Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Monday, January 09, 2012

A walk, something new and a book

I walked around the lake this morning but stayed on the lower path and walked the opposite way around.  Didn't get to see a sunrise this morning because it was cloudy.  Monday's are usually quiet days around the lake and today was no exception.  Saw a few of the regulars and that was it.
All the geese were around but didn't spot any other wildlife.  It is dark when I start so it is hard to spot any.  I hear things but can't see them.
After walking the lake I didn't feel like going home yet so I walked down the sidewalk a bit to the path and walked part of that before coming back out on the sidewalk again.  Continued on to the parking lot by the liquor store hoping to find a couple of coins but no luck today.  From there I walked home.
Ended up walking 7.6 miles.
Sunrise 7:27
Sunset 5:02
Wish the sunrise would be getting earlier 
instead of just the sunset getting later.
****************************
I cut up strawberries this morning and put them in my cereal which was Cocoa Krispies.  I don't think I've ever had strawberries on them before but it certainly won't be the last time.  It was really good.

My oven mitts had seen better days and thought it was time to replace them.  When I bought these in Wal-mart I didn't look that close and thought I was just getting an oven mitt and a dishtowel.  I couldn't find any mitts just on their own so just bought the set.  I didn't look at them close and when I got home I realized that not only did  the set include a mitt and towel, but it had three towels, an oven mitt, two pot holders, and a dish rag.  I got two sets because I wanted two mitts so I got a real good deal here.
The dill and the basil that I planted has sprouted!!  The basil looks great but the dill doesn't look so hot.  It's early yet so it might improve.  The chives haven't sprouted yet but they were supposed to take longer.
I finished reading The Walk West by Peter Jenkins.  In this second book he is now married and him and his wife Barbara walk from Louisiana to the Oregon coast.  They started out in New Orleans on July 5,1976 and their walk ended at the Pacific Ocean in Florence on January 18, 1979.  This book is about their adventures.  I thought it was a great book.  You know I  like to walk, but I could never do what they did!!!! That is book number 2 for this year.  No goal involved this time just keeping track.

Last night the second season of Downton Abbey on PBS started which we watched.  Really liked the first season and the second has started out good too.  I look forward to watching the episode next week.

This afternoon I'll be home doing some routine housework stuff, nothing exciting but still it needs to be done.  

Hope your Monday is a happy one.
Happyone
Every time you smile at someone,
it is an action of love,
a gift to that person,
a beautiful thing.
~ Mother Teresa

9 comments:

Vee said...

"Wish the sunrise would be getting earlier instead of just the sunset getting later." You are the only person I know who feels this way. I'd be willing to give up some of my earlier daylight so that you could have more light in the morning, but I have to tell you that it would be a great sacrifice. I'm just coming out of my slump. LOL!

Oh that was a good bargain for all the kitchen linen! Cute pattern, too.

Not only do I think you could walk across the country, I think you could write a book about it and it would be intriguing.

Vee said...

What? I don't even know. I think that I was trying to say that I'd give up some of my afternoon daylight for you to have some early morning light. I think. 8?

Sue said...

Strawberries on Cocoa Krispies sound good to me. Your new mitts and dishcloths are pretty, i learned to enjoy blue and yellow last year, and hope to incorporate those two colors in some of my decorating this year.
I would love to be able to grow herbs indoors but have never had any luck,yours look great.
Enjoy.
Sue

Anonymous said...

Love the pattern of the kitchen set - what a bargain.

Noofy said...

Geez, you did luck out on a deal at Walmart. Our Walmart is always busy, any day, any time - I avoid it unless it is absolutely necessary. I picked up new potholders too - at the grocery store. I have no idea what they cost, I'm sure more than I should have paid. This is the kinda stuff that should be Christmas stocking stuffers! Your walks seem to be getting longer - me tinks you have a 2012 walking goal? Enjoy your new book!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Karen, Glad your dill and basil have sprouted... Hope the chives sprout soon...

That book sounds interesting.. Bet they did have alot of great experiences throughout their walk.

Have a great day tomorrow.
Hugs,
Betsy

Retired Knitter said...

You know my pot holders and dish towels are looking terrible. Maybe I will stop and get some new ones too.

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Keep us posted on your growing garden. It's fun to watch something progress...

I'll never read those walking books but I wonder .... ? Do they sleep in motels? Or carry camping stuff, in back-packs? Etc. :-)

"The night was clear and frosty,
all ebony of shadow
and silver of snowy slope;
big stars were shining over the silent fields."

~Lucy Maud Montgomery

Happy@Home said...

Geez, I was just feeling good about my 2-1/2 mile walk. LOL. It did make me feel better when you said even you wouldn't walk that far. Although, like Vee, I think you could do it!
Now you might have known I would LOVE your new kitchen linens and what a great deal. I may have to stop by Walmart. Normally I avoid it at all costs.
I'm off to do my routine housework now too.