Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Thursday, November 10, 2011

No title today

Giving Thanks Day Number 10
I am thankful that i wake up each morning
and have the desire and the ability 
to go on my morning walks.
It sets a happy and thankful mood for the day. : )
*************************************************
This morning was foggy but warm with a temperature of 48 degrees.  I walked pretty much the same route as yesterday along sidewalks and paths through the different neighborhoods.
 A few more people were out most of them walking dogs.  I saw some kind of a hawk flying making a loud screeching sound.  When it landed on a branch of a tree it was quiet and when it flew off it made that loud screeching sound again.
I saw three deer off in the woods and later on saw a lone deer laying down off to the side.  I thought it might be hurt and started walking over to it.  Then it stood up and i took this picture, and then she ran off into the woods.  I guess she was just having a rest. 
 I walked 6.4 miles.
Sunrise 6:45
Sunset 4:57
*********************************************
Today i went to the MVA Express and turned the license plates in from the FJ.  What a breeze that was.  I hadn't been to the MVA for quite a while and it sure has improved.  I walked in and there was a small screen with four choices where you touch on what you are there for.  I touched return tags and a paper pops out with a number and letter on it.  I took a seat and waited for a couple of minutes and my number was called and i was told which window to go to.  I was in and out in a few minutes.  Good news - we will be getting a refund of $90 in the mail!
I did a couple of other errands before coming back home.

All the townhouses where i live have decks and this week workers have been doing work on a lot of the decks.  All of the decks look fine so i was wondering what they were doing.  Our deck is perfectly fine.  When i walked by i stopped to ask them what the problem with the decks were.  No one could answer me though because no spoke English!!
 ****************************************************
 We have been watching the Vietnam War Documentary on the history channel.  It has been on the past two evenings for two hours an episode and there is one more tonight.  It is a bit depressing to see it all again and i didn't really want to watch it, but i am glad i am because i have learned a lot.
It was horrendous to have lived through that war.  What is so sad is that when our soldiers came back home how badly they were treated.  They came home to people protesting, calling them names, and spitting on them.
A soldier with tears in his eyes tells of how proud he was to have served his country and wearing his uniform and was coming back home.  When he gets on the plane there are two empty seats beside him.  People wouldn't even sit next to him, they would rather sit on the floor than next to him.  His feeling of pride turned to shame and he couldn't wait to get home so he could take off his uniform.
And most of the soldiers in Vietnam didn't ask to be there, they were drafted and had no choice!!
At least the military of today are treated so much better and people thank them!!!!
*************************************************
 I hope you were able to find bits of happiness scattered throughout your day.
A smile from me to you.
Happyone : )
The unthankful heart discovers no mercies;
but the thankful hear will find,
in every hour,
some heavenly blessings.
~ Henry Ward Beecher

3 comments:

Marti said...

I was married to a Vietnam vet, and he came back from the war a changed (and not for the good) man. It was awful over there, and then to have to face the hatefulness here was emotionally damaging. Loved you pic of the deer. How long does it take to do your morning walks?

Happy@Home said...

How nice to know that the MVA is getting more efficient. Seems like anytime I have gone there it is a real test of one's patience.

The documentary on the Vietnam War does sound very sad. The story of the one soldier on the plane is heartbreaking.

I'm off to take an after dinner walk.

Unknown said...

Very inspiring post and I love the photo. I wish I could get my get up and go to get up early and go. Guess I am grateful to just be able to go period. Blessings
QMM