Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Thursday, August 18, 2011

This and that

A nice morning for walking.  Temperature a little warm at 70 degrees, but there was a bit of a breeze at times with clouds and a little sun.  i headed out toward the lake and walked around it.  i walked along the road up in the park and stopped to take this picture.  The path you see down below is where i'm usually walking. i was standing in a parking lot to take the picture.
The usual amount of people around but i didn't see anyone fishing or any boats on the water.  Not many geese either but i did see a few of them leaving.  i wonder where they all have gone.  Down by the water where weeds and flowers are growing among the rock were a few Gold Finches eating the seeds.  One of these days maybe i'll be able to get a picture of them!
Pretty quiet out there this morning but it sure was good to be out there walking.

I walked 6.3 miles.
12,934 steps.
Sunrise 6:23
Sunset 7:59
*******************************************
i went out to the bank this morning to put some money that i had saved into my savings account.  That put a smile on my face. : )  
Next i went to Michaels.  Took a picture of the store and my car just because i like looking at my car.  When I park it after all these years I still look back at it and just can't believe it is mine!!
i bought some more white yarn for the afghan/bedspread.  i got the one pound skein which is more than i need to finish it but i can also use it to make weave-it squares.  The two other colors of yarn are also for the weave-its.  
i saw this little Footprint counted cross stitch kit and thought it would be nice to make it for my Secret Sister so i bought that too.
i got back home in time for lunch and this afternoon i got some computer work done.  Then did fun stuff on the computer.  i also got a couple of chores done.

Out on the deck i noticed a Praying Mantis sitting there on the bench and took a bunch of pictures.  These two turned out the best.

A while back Ken got a spot award at work and it came with a gift card for eating out at any number of restaurants around here.  Tonight we are going to use it and go to Baldwin Station, a favorite place of ours that we go for special occasions.  Celebrating a job well done seems like a special enough occasion!  Our reservations are for 6:30.  If the weather stays nice we will eat outside. 

Hope all is well in your part of the world and that you made the most of your day.
Happy thoughts i send your way.
Happyone : )
The following quote reminds me of a note my son David wrote me when he was a little guy.  He had been sent to his room for something and while there wrote me this.
Dear Mom,
I hate you!!
Love, David
If you have never been hated by your child
you have never been a parent.
~ Bette Davis

7 comments:

Vee said...

Now that's the sweetest hate mail I've ever seen. Hope that you will have had a wonderful meal out by the time you are reading this. I'll be back in a few...

Vee said...

days that is and I will be checking back to see how the evening went.

Retired Knitter said...

Baldwin Station - tonight at 6:30 ??? really.

My son and his fiance went out there this evening - some singer was supposed to be performing and was a favorite of her father's. They were going with her parents!!

As a matter of fact, that is where they will be married come next May. Unfortunately Mike and I have not been able to get away and see the place yet.

Anita said...

I laughed aloud at your son's hate/love note.

Incidentally, white peaches have pink skins and pink seeds. They are absolutely beautiful in a canning jar.
We grew white peaches when I was a child, although ours usually had freckles on the outside; they were delicious, though.

I'll have to check out that praying mantis organization; didn't know they'd unionized! (dot org)

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Karen, YES---I'd take photos of that car too if it were mine... It's gorgeous!!!!! I also like Michael's... Sounds like you had a good day.. Hope you enjoy your dinner.
Hugs,
Betsy

Noofy said...

The geese probably went off to lay eggs. I can't imagine them leaving such a gorgeous lake before winter. Wow, your Michaels is almost empty, ours seems to be always packed. I've got to head over to Michaels next week. Your car looks good no mater where it's parked, darn right you should be proud of it! Nice shots of the praying mantus, although I'm not a bug person. Enjoy your dinner tonight, look forward to hearing about it tomorrow. Congrats to Ken for his award!

Barb said...

There was a Vette Rally in Frisco a few weeks ago. Corvettes everywhere! The Praying Mantis is my favorite insect. I sometimes see them in the city but never in the Mts.