Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Jinxed lasagna

This morning was just like yesterday - temperature in the low 50's and sunny.  Now that the days are getting shorter, i no longer get up when the sun is shining. It rises around the time i get outside and it won't be long before i'll be starting in the dark once again.
I didn't plan on walking around the lake.  I started out going up the street toward the liquor store and i felt like i should turn around so i did and headed out toward the lake.  I walked along a bit and started going down another road, then once again i felt like i should go over to the lake so this time i listened and went to the lake.  I believe that God directs my life and i didn't know why but knew i should walk around the lake.
I was about half way around the lake and coming toward me was Carol, a woman who goes to my church.  Her and her husband are frequent walkers around the lake and i see them often.  She was on her own today and asked if i would mind if she walked with me.  That was when i knew this was the reason i was supposed to walk around the lake.  We walked and talked all the way back to the path that leads me back home.  She hugged me, turned around and with a smile headed back home too.

I stopped on the red bridge that i posted a picture of yesterday and today i took a picture standing on the bridge looking out at the lake.  There was a mist on the water again till the sun chased it away.
 I saw one baby deer on its own on the way to the lake.  I didn't really notice much around me after i started walking with Carol.  I don't mind walking with people once in a while, but i really prefer to walk alone.
I walked 6.1 miles.
Sunrise 6:35
Sunset 7:40
************************************************
I didn't need a lot but there were some things i needed in the way of food so i made up a short list (20 items) and headed out to the commissary.  It was such a pretty sunny day that i drove the long way there.  The end of the month it is usually crowded but not today - no line at all.  Renovations are not quite finished yet and it wasn't easy finding a couple of things but eventually i got all on my list.
There are cashiers and baggers and the baggers work for tips only.  I have canvas bags that i use and one is insulated for the cold stuff.  I know i've mention this before but the baggers have a hard time getting the cold stuff in the bag even when i mention to please to that.  Today i put all the cold stuff together with the insulated bag and asked the bagger to please put the cold stuff in the insulated bag.  I'm standing there and she starts putting the cheese and butter in a regular bag.  I said, those would be the things to go in the insulated bag.  She said oh yeah.  I just don't understand what is so hard about getting that right.  Yes, i still gave her a tip.

Read quite a bit this afternoon because i have a book due tomorrow.  I still have 100 pages to read so i guess i'll be going to the library tomorrow evening instead of during the day!

I made lasagna tonight for supper and ended up eating it alone.  The phone rang a little after 6 and when i saw that it was Ken calling i laughed because i knew he wasn't making it home for supper and i had just taken the lasagna out of the oven.  I laughed because i think my lasagna must be jinxed.  The last time i made it was when Debbie,  a co-worker had car trouble and he was late and brought her home for dinner.  The time before that was just like tonight!  I think next time i will make it on a weekend when Ken is already at home!!   It's funny too because he usually calls me earlier and i know not to cook anything.


I am going to go and read some more of that book now and when Ken gets home and eats his lasagna supper i will eat my ice cream. : )

Hope all is going well in your part of the world.
A smile from me to you.
Happyone : )
Treat everyone with politeness,
even those who are rude to you.
Not because they are nice,
but because you are.
~ Author Unknown

8 comments:

Jeanne said...

I like your quote but that can be so hard to do sometimes!

Barb said...

Already your misty photo reminds me of fall. I love lasagna and would have gladly come in Ken's place.

Auntie said...

A great thing about lasagna though... It can be eaten when people are ready to eat. One of those delightful things, which are of that nature. Can put it in frig, and warm it back up, later. :-)

So glad you were there, to talk with your friend. I know that a person of Faith feels that's why those *things happen.* But they happen to me too. Those... "Hmmm I should go this way.." kind of things.

I call it Synchrinosity. I feel that all the Universe is connected is some way. Not a woooo-woooo-way. A reality way. And we *know things,* if we are open to so doing.

I've had way too many of these things happen... These things for which there is no very simple reason. More than just coincidence. :-) And I try to stay open to them...

Doesn't matter what we call them. Just that we try to keep *listening* to that little voice, inside, as it were.

Gentle hugs...

Noofy said...

I'm starting to enjoy walking alone as well. Quite the coincidence on the lasagna or is it? Hope you got your books finished in time. Love the quote, you always seem to find the appropriate ones.

KathyA said...

I remember that lasagna!!
It's good to listen to your heart, isn't it?

Happy@Home said...

I am sure that Carol greatly appreciated walking and talking with you. How interesting that you were led to walk that way.
That's funny about the lasagna. Making it on the weekend sounds like it might be your best bet.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Funny, Karen... Yes--it sounds like your lasagna is jinxed... Your idea of making it sometime when he is already home is probably a good deal...

Glad that you are having some cool temps up there. We are back to HOT this week--so we had to turn our AC back on. It's supposed to get cooler next week.. Hope it does!!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

George said...

I'd gladly help you eat your lasagna -- it would take more than a little jinx to keep me away. I really like the mist and reflections in your picture.