Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The end

My blogging break has come to an end and now I'm back and ready to continue.
The last few mornings the weather has just been beautiful for walking with temperatures in the 50's, lots of sunshine and very low humidity - it just doesn't get any better than that for walking!!
This morning I walked around the lake.  I've looked at this in the water for a while now and to me it looks like a very long alligator or maybe we have our very own lake monster! : )
I walked down to the water to take a picture of it today and watched a snapping turtle trying to get up on the log but it just couldn't make it and ended up swimming away.  
The upper path around the lake people call the Bunny Trail and today I could certainly see why they call it that.  I must have seen a least a dozen of them along there this morning.  One was a tiny little thing and it was soooo cute!
The one family of geese have grown up and now I can't tell the babies from the parents.  The only reason I knew it was the same family I've been watching is because they hang around with another family and their babies are still small.  I'm thinking its an extended family.
Quite a lot of people out with this nice weather and everyone seems extra friendly on these mornings.
I found a lucky penny today. : )
I usually post how many miles I walked.
For a change I thought now I'll post how many steps I take. 
Today's steps were 12,777.
***********************************************
I went out this morning to Barnes and Noble to spend the gift card that I received for my birthday.  I ended up getting a couple of old children's classics that I loved as a kid and would like to reread them and have a copy for my library.
I had a few other errands to do and while driving through a neighborhood I spotted some good street sign names for my photo blog.  So I parked my car and took a little walk and snapped some pictures.  I post a street sign every Saturday.

When I got back home I sat out on the deck amongst my clothes drying on the line and finished reading a great book, Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, by Helen Simonson.  It was her first book and I hope she plans on writing more!!
The Major is retired and lives in the small English village of Edgecombe St. Mary.  The death of his brother sparks an unexpected friendship with Mrs. Ali.
Thanks Cheryl for recommending this book to me!!
After eating a late lunch I then concentrated on making the rest of the weave-it squares for the afghan I'm making (a total of 288 squares). I finished all the squares and sewed the last row of 32 together.  Now I just have to sew the two last strips to the main part and I'll be done.  If I don't finish it later tonight, I will finish it up tomorrow.

Last night we bought tickets to see Les Miserables at the Kennedy Center.  I have wanted to see this forever and I am so excited to be finally going.  It isn't until October but it will be something to look forward to!!  : )

I ended up wearing my pedometer the whole day just to see how many steps I take.  I tried not to look at it during the day so I wouldn't take extra steps.
It is now a little after 7:00 and my total steps to now is 19458.

Hope you had a happy day.
A smile from me to you.
Happyone : )
We seem to be going through a period of nostalgia, 
and everyone seems to think yesterday was better than today.
I don't think it was,
and I would advise you not to 
wait ten years before admitting today was great.
If you're hung up on nostalgia,
pretend today is yesterday and
just go out and have one hell of a time.
~ Art Buchwald

11 comments:

Jeanne said...

Good to see you back. The lake looks beautiful and that does look like a huge alligator!

Barb said...

Lots of wildlife today - including the "alligator!" I think you'll like Les Miserables - how wonderful to see it at the Kennedy Center!

Vee said...

Are you trying to scare me? "The End" what kind of title is that? ☺ Glad to have you off your blogging break. Blogdom doesn't seem the same without visiting "Life is Good."

Now you have me wondering how many steps 19, thousand something are. Hmmm...

Cheryl said...

The weather has been delightful and I've thought of you on your morning walks.

I'm so glad you liked the book. I hope there's follow-ups with Major Pettigrew.

Happy@Home said...

I'm laughing at Vee's comment about the end because at first I thought the same thing. I thought maybe you'd enjoyed your break so much that you'd decided not to blog anymore. Whew, so glad that isn't the case.
I wonder if your big alligator is the father to the little guy I saw on my patio?
That is a lot of steps you took today. I need to dig out my pedometer and see how many I'm taking. I have a feeling I need to increase the amount.
Welcome back.

Noofy said...

Oh I'm so happy to have you back - WELCOME BACK HAPPYONE!!!! I missed you, we all did. Thanks for the comments on my blog, staying in touch. I'll be honest, I was peeking at your Tracker Blog just for my motivation. You don't wear your pedometer all day? The trainer told me that's the best way to get all steps counted for one day (not just the walk), all steps count. Geez, I still haven't made 10K. Love the picture of the Lake Monster (for lack of a better name). I'm not much of a book reader, more a movie watcher. Major Pettigrew's Last Stand did peak my interest. Anxious to see your afghan when it is ready.

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

Yes, Welcome Back! I thought of you today when I was hiking up a mountain trail to see a waterfall; 3 miles of rock and root filled path up...and 3 miles down (if the sign is correct...it seems like 7 miles up and 5 miles down).

Retired Knitter said...

Welcome back ... although your title "The End" did give me a start!!! I thought maybe you were at the end of blogging. Happily it was the end of your break.

You were missed. And I get to see you once a week, and you were missed!!

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Welcome back, Dear One!

Oh what a lovely photo, your lake-and-*monster* make. :-)

Thank you for the book suggestion! Set in a Little English village. How perrrrrrrrrrfect!

Tickets to a show in the Kennedy Center in the fall. What a lovely thing to anticipate.

~♥~

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

:-) and I already have it on hold at my library. Along with another book, which sounded interesting to me. Will talk about it, if I like it.

Oh I soooooooooo hope to have found some fun, interesting books for me! This drought has been too long. I'm *reduced* to getting decorating books out. -sigh-

~♥~

KathyA said...

I'd love to have seen a photo of that turtle. Turtles are very special to me.

I've taken a break, kind of, too as we've been in Florida. It's good to be back, though.

Went to Barnes and Noble today, too to use a gift card!! I got 5 books, and still had over a dollar left, so I bought a chocolate bar. I'm also thinking of getting a Nook.

I loved that book!!