Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Another pair of new walking shoes

It rained early this morning but by the time I went for my walk, a little earlier than usual at 6:15, it had stopped raining and the sun was coming out.  It was a nice morning for walking.  I didn't walk on any of my usual routes and just walk all over.  I even walked down a couple of roads where I've never been before.
I saw a few deer, a fox and lots of rabbits.  Though I think the rabbits were cute I'm sure the people whose garden they were eating don't feel the same way!!  The birds sounded happy and were enjoying the early morning too.  A few pictures along my walk.
A little bridge which leads from one road over to another.
 A cool looking fence and flowers in front of a bed and breakfast.
 Some tall pretty flowers to brighten up some mailboxes.
Not many people up and about yet so I had the morning pretty much to my self.  
During my walk I took 12,943 steps which for me is 6.3 miles.  I've heard say that the average person takes 2000 steps per mile.  That number appears a little low for me.
It was also a good coin day - I found a quarter, a dime and a penny.
****************************************
June is the anniversary month for when I started taking morning walks. This years makes 23 years.  A while back I wrote a post about me and my walking and how I got started.  For those of you who are new to my blog and would like to read that post, click HERE.

Ken and I met up for lunch and then went out to do a few errands.  I got another new pair of walking shoes.  I couldn't find any woman's New Balance shoes in a wide width and none of the regular fit right.  I got an idea to try on boys shoes.  That worked out very well.  I found a pair that felt really good in a size 7.  : )  I like the black color and they were cheaper than women's shoes.  I'll wear them tomorrow and hopefully they will be perfect for long walks.  I bought 2 pair.  If these don't feel right after my walk, I'm taking both pair back, but I'm sure these will be fine.  Me, the ever optimist!
Here's a picture of my new shoes.
Now that I've finished the weave-it afghan my next big project to finish is the white knitted sampler afghan that I'm making as a bedspread for our bed.  It is made up of 99 white squares.  I have only 12 more to make.  I started one of the squares today.  These squares take a bit longer than weave-it squares.  A weave-it square I can get done in about 10 minutes.  A white knitted square takes 2 or 3 hours.  I've been working on this project for years and I will feel so good when I finally get it done!!

Hope all is well in your part of the world.
A smile from me to you.
Happyone : )

I came across the following quote about fathers.  It is one that I could have written about my dad.  I miss my dad!!  Someday we will be reunited again in heaven. : )

A father is someone that
holds your hand at the fair.
Makes sure you do what your mother says.
Holds back your hair when your are sick.
Brushes your hair when it is tangled because mother is too busy.
Lets you eat ice cream for breakfast. 

He walks you down the aisle.
He tells you everythings gonna be ok


- Unknown

Happy Fathers Day to all you Father's out there.  : )

11 comments:

Noofy said...

I found some footbridges on my walk today as well, what a coincidence. I don't see sidewalks or paths where you walked today. Wow, 23 years of walking, Happy Annivesary! Thank you for sharing your story, you continue to motivate me. As I try to push myself, I'm reminded this journey is literally one step at a time, I'll get there eventually! Hope your new shoes work for you this time. Did I miss a post mentioned the recipient of your afghan?

happyone said...

Noofy - no, I haven't given it to my friend yet. I will this week.

Retired Knitter said...

Gosh I hope those new shoes work out.

I love the picture of the wooden walk that ends in a lighted area. You have a really have a great eye for pictures.

Jeanne said...

Congratulations on your walking anniversary! That is awesome to be able to keep it up for that long. I'm not sure my back will ever be good enough to walk that far but I'm thankful for the walking I am able to do. In November of last year I had to quit completely for a few months but recently I've gotten back into it and so far so good.

Rathi said...

Beautiful quote Karen... and 23 years of walking. WOW. you gotta celebrate that.

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

I love your bridge photos...

Good luck with the new shoes!

~♥~

Golden To Silver Val said...

My friend turned me on to buying some products that are made for men or boys years and years ago; they just seem to be made better and are a little wider (in the case of shoes or boots). Unless you're an expert, you can't even tell that it's not girls or women's. You certainly have some beautiful areas in which to walk...I love your photos!

Anita said...

beautiful pics--thanks for sharing
nothing that photogenic hereabouts

Cheryl said...

Congrats on your walking anniversary, and on finding new walking shoes. I hope they're perfect!

Thinking about you this morning, walking in the rain. I bet it was nice. I'm so glad it's raining; we sure need it.

Your white afghan made me think of my large cross stitch I made many years ago. I put hundreds of hours into it. It's a treasure, as is yours.

Vee said...

I'm so glad that you had one of those kinds of dads. Yes, boys' sneakers work well for me, too, when I can't find my size. The pair I wore when we met are New Balance boys. I doubt that they are size 7, though. Hope that they work out.

KathyA said...

Well walking outside surely beats the treadmill. I think looking around and appreciating the flowers (those tall ones are yuccas) and fauna is so much fun.

Hope the new shoes are comfy.