Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Friday, September 17, 2010

The Pole is Gone!!

I walked around the lake today and then up the road for a bit and walked seven miles.  It was a bit warmer out than it has been but not so warm that I was hot.  Saw lots of the regulars out and some people I've never seen before too.  The geese were all gathering in one of the open fields.  They look like they are getting organized to fly off to warmer climates for the winter.  A lot of geese stay at the lake throughout the winter.  I wonder why some go and some leave?  I saw lots of Robins too and a few Blue Jays.  The little chipmunk scurried across the path again.  I'm sure there are many of them but I saw this one in the same area.  In the grass along the path was a ground hog and a few rabbits were about as well.

I've joined another TrackerWalker competition and it started yesterday.  This is a LONG one and ends on Christmas Day!!  Even though my steps yesterday were over 20,000 I am only in 5th place so this will be a bit more difficult to come in number one!!  The goal is for everyone to walk 15,000 steps a day.  What I have going for me is that I walk regularly and not only a lot a few times a week.  I am kind of like the tortoise in the hare and tortoise.

A few weeks ago I got a notice in the mail saying it was time again to take my car for its emissions inspection.  It was said that Thursdays and Fridays have the shortest lines so I went there today.  They were right.  There were only two cars ahead of me in my line and it went without a hitch.  My car passed and she is good for the next two years.  I'm next in line here and took the picture through the windshield.

When I got home Verizon had taken their stuff off that pole in the middle of the street by my house and workers were there taking down the old telephone pole.  Of course I watched and took pictures.
Lifting the pole up.
 Out it comes.
 All the way out.
 Filling the hole with bags of stone. 
They didn't bother taking the stones out of the bags but just threw in the bag and all.  Only the last few bags did they open and just throw in the stones.
 The barrel goes back and waits for the road to get patched.

A nice sunny day so I washed a couple of loads of laundry and hung them outside.  My dryer sits inside not being used and I think of how much electricity I'm saving. :-)

The rest of the afternoon will just be routine.  Doing a few things around the house and then reading or knitting until supper. 

Not sure what we are doing for supper.
Hope your Friday is a bright sunny day for you.
Happyone :-)

6 comments:

Barb said...

I'm cheering you on to be Number One!

Cheryl said...

You've lived with that odd pole so long I wonder if you'll miss it? It's about time they took it down. One day I'll see it :)

Vee said...

Oh you'll gain the first position right away, I'm convinced. That old pole needed to go. No one needs something like that to fixate on in the middle of the street. And don't those clothes smell good, too, right?! We always think that chippies are so cute as they scoot along with their tails straight up in the air like a little mast on a sailboat.

KathyA said...

YAY!! Finally!! Can't believe it took them two years to do that!

Happy@Home said...

Good luck on your newest walking venture.
I imagine your view has improved a bit with the pole gone.
Have a great weekend.

George said...

It's nice to see that the pole is finally gone. I hope the road gets patched soon.
Good luck in your new TrackerWalker competition.