Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Baggers

This morning was a nice cool sunny morning for a walk.  I walked around the lake and then some and walked 7.1 miles.  A good start on the day with a good amount of steps already.  I walked the opposite way around the lake for a change so I got to see different people.  I'm not sure which way around the lake has the least amount of hills.  It's pretty much even no matter which way you go.  I spotted both the white egret and the heron.  I am pleased to say that they are both regulars at the lake now.  I saw four deer just as I started around the lake.  They stayed just long enough for me to get this picture before they all disappeared again.
 I also saw another one farther along.  I saw a few bunnies eating grass along the path but this one found something better to eat and had to stand up to reach it. Picture not very good but I was glad I could get him standing up.
The sunny morning turned into a cloudy morning as I headed out to the commissary.  I got there without any major traffic jams which was nice.  Things were done a little differently at the gate today.  More barriers were up to drive around and the guards scanned our ID's. 

Some renovations going on at the commissary.  They are putting in new freezers down at one end and enlarging the whole commissary.  Not really disruptive yet.  Just two aisles got moved and the entrance is down at the other end.  I had to get a lot of stuff so couldn't go through the fast checkout but there weren't many people and I didn't have any line to wait on at all.  Some of the cashiers were sitting there with no customers.  That is pretty rare!!!

The cashiers at the commissary only scan the prices. There are baggers who bag and bring your stuff to the car and only work for tips.  I always have the baggers just put my stuff back in the grocery cart and bring my own groceries to the car myself.  I ask them to put the bags in my cart because they use other carts to bring the groceries to the car. I park away from other cars and like to load my own.  I still tip the baggers though.  

I have green canvas bags to use and one of them is insulated for the cold stuff.  I always put all the cold stuff together so they can easily put it all in the insulated bag.  You wouldn't think it would be so hard for them to put the cold stuff in this bag, but they hardly ever do and today they didn't either.  The cold stuff was spread out in the other bags and the insulated one had cans and cereal in it.  They also put the bags in the wrong cart which I didn't notice until I had given them their tip.  When I said again that I wanted to bring my stuff to the car myself they just watched me load my cart again and repack everything.  I was so annoyed I wanted to ask for my tip back.  See I'm not always happy and can get annoyed too!!! :-) In the grand scheme of things this was no big deal and I was happy to leave them to their bagging, glad that it wasn't my job.

The cloudy morning has now turned into a rainy afternoon.  Just a light rain now but a lot more is supposed to be on the way tonight and tomorrow.  

I haven't started to read A Walk Across America yet because I have to get a couple of library books read, but I'll be reading it soon. 

As usual I have a few things to do around the house this afternoon and later will take some time to knit and read.

Hope all is well in your part of the world.  
Happyone :-)

5 comments:

Barb said...

A busy day for you, and you're getting a lot of steps! The deer photo looks so idyllic. I've never tipped a bagger...is it because it's the commissary?

George said...

The Kroger store in town still has baggers, especially on Senior Discount Day. They always offer to help get things to the car. I believe they are paid a wage, but it probably isn't much.

Happy@Home said...

Great photos of your wildlife today.
At some of the grocery stores here they offer to take your cart (or buggy as they call it here) to the car. I don' think you're supposed to tip them, but I'm really not sure. I always take my own.

Vee said...

I am surprised that you were annoyed by such a thing as the groceries all jumbled...not. I'd have probably gone straight up and they'd have had to scrape me off the ceiling with a spatula. My fuse is quite short these days. Must be all these rotten nursing homes I'm touring every day. UGH

Wonder how long it would take you to walk across America at 7 miles a day. Four hundred days???

Rathi said...

Oh i enjoy the commotion at supermarkets. The one where i go, they are alright. But i wish i could go into a walmart one day!