Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Saturday, July 24, 2010

No Walk!!

No walk for me today!! Last night we decided to take a ride up to Pennsylvania to see my parents and were going to leave first thing in the morning. But when I called to say we would be coming up, my mom said they would be busy today so we ended up not going. By then it was getting too hot to walk. :-(
My mom did open up her birthday present early like I knew she would! :-)
Remember those Welsh Cookies I baked last week. Well, I wrapped them up and put them in this Longaberger basket that I bought for her months ago. I am happy to say she was happy with her present! :-)

I made us French toast for breakfast this morning with some of the French bread I made in the bread machine. It was delicious!

Later in the morning we went out and about and did a few errands. One stop was as Bass Pro and since I couldn't take any pictures from a morning walk I took this picture of the deer in the store!
We pass a farm quite often that has a sign which says they sell produce. You can't see the stand from the road and we usually just pass right by it. Today we went up the dirt road to take a look.We bought peaches and one huge tomato. The peaches are to be made into peach cobbler, the recipe which I got from a new blogger friend Anita. I'll be sure to post a picture when I make it.

I got an email from the library telling me a book I have on reserve was in so we made a stop at the library to pick that up too. And wouldn't you know I opened it up and started to read it, so now once again I have 5 books started!! We also picked up a couple of old Paul Newman movies. We just finished watching a biography of him from we got from Netflix, so thought we would watch a couple of his movies.

We stopped for a bite to eat at Subway while we were out too. I had a turkey sub with cheddar cheese, cucumbers and spinach.

Now we are home for a while this afternoon. I plan to do a little knitting and reading. Then after supper we are headed out to walk around a local carnival which I'm really looking forward to. It's been a very long time since I've been to a carnival. I'm thinking I'd like to get some cotton candy!!

Since I haven't walked today I've been wearing my pedometer and counting my steps for the day. I usually take over 12,000 steps on my walk alone but today so far I've only taken a little over 5,000. Maybe by tonight I'll get up to at least 10,000 which is supposed to be what you should walk every day to stay healthy. I'll tell you tomorrow what my number for today was.

I hope you are enjoying your Saturday.
Happyone :-)
You've got a lot of choices.
If getting out of bed in the morning is a chore
and you're not smiling on a regular basis,
try another choice.
~Steven D. Woodhull

8 comments:

Anita said...

I forgot to mention=If you like your cobbler a bit sweeter, you can add sugar to the fruit before you put it on the batter.

KathyA said...

Sounds like a great day. Where is that produce farm? I'm going to make a peach cobbler from a recipe I got in the Food Network magazine!

happyone said...

Kathy, on Gorman road at the bend just after Leisher (spelling?).

Retired Knitter said...

hmmm I love cobbler. I am not much of a cook, however. The last time I attempted a cobbler-like dessert was for company. I followed the recipe - it was apple cobbler - but I read one ingredient wrong - it called for apple cider and I added apple cider vinegar!! You can imagine how that turned out. I am not even sure more sugar would have helped! LOL Thankfully I also made lemon pound cake which was wonderful, but I was really annoyed that I had messed up the cobbler - I hate peeling apples.

Vee said...

I won't be one bit surprised when you make it to ten thousand. You're a gal on the move. What is this with a mom who says she's too busy to see you? Ha! (My mother tells me that quite often.)

Rathi said...

Oh i wish you could have gone to visit your parents..... but the present looks really nice Karen... definite charmer... and i am sure that you will be able to complete your steps...

I loved the quote by the way... It is really good and suits me so so much

Happy@Home said...

I can see why your mom would be happy to receive your thoughtful and delicious gift.
I love stopping at those little roadside stands. The produce is usually so fresh and it can be interesting to talk to the farmers.
Hope you had fun at the carnival.

o2bhiking said...

What a nice gift for your mom! I spent more time indoors this weekend than I usually do in any 2 or 3 weekends. It was so hot. I did walk 3.5 miles Saturday AM but it was early in the day. Peach cobbler - yum!