Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Saturday, January 09, 2010

This and that for a Saturday

Didn't walk my full 6 miles this morning - only 5.2. I got up a little bit later than usual and I had to go out this morning. The sun was out and there was no wind so it actually seemed warm!!
The Morning Sun.
I walked the path over to the lake but once I got to the lake I took a different route and didn't walk around the lake. Too many runners there on Saturdays. I then just walked around the neighborhood and on one of the paths. Quite a few people out today.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I left at 9:45 and went to meet Bonnie at Panera's for a meeting about her project for the baby hats and booties. I took these hats and booties for her that I've knitted. My mom knitted the three hats on the left.This hat I made with the sock yarn that I got for Christmas at my Wednesday Knit group. I love the yarn - it makes for a very soft close knit hat. The orange booties in the previous picture is made of the same yarn.
It was noted at the meeting that the booties aren't really needed but that mitts for the babies hands would be better. So I'll stop knitting the booties and find a pattern for the mitts. They should be very easy and knit up fast as they are so tiny.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We've invited Cheryl and Rob, and Jackie and Kerry over tomorrow afternoon for little get-to-gether for some chili. It should be a fun time and I'm really looking forward to it.
This afternoon I made a big pot of chili in the slow cooker.
Here it is in the cooker and now it just has to cook for 8 - 10 hours.I've made it today because it always tastes better the second day.

Next I made some Luscious Lemon Bars and used the recipe out of the new cookie cookbook I just bought the other day.
Here's the recipe if your interested in making them.
CRUST
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1-1/2 teaspoons skim milk
Filling
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 Tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Drizzle
3/4 cup confectioners sugar
1 Tablespoon skim milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1. Heat oven to 350.
Oil bottom of 8 inch square pan lightly.
2. For crust, combine oil, and sugar in large bowl. Beat at medium speed until well blended. Add flour and milk. Stir until well mixed and crumbly. Spoon into pan. Press evenly onto bottom.3. Bake for 15 minutes. Do not over bake.
4. For filling, combine eggs, sugar, and lemon juice, four and baking powder in med bowl. Beat at high speed 3 minutes. Pour over hot baked crust.
5. Bake for 25 minutes or until light golden brown. Do not over bake. Remove pan to cooling rack. Loosen from edge while still warm. Cool completely.6. For drizzle, combine confectioners sugar, milk, and vanilla in small bowl. Drizzle over top. Allow to stand before cutting into bars.
I don't think the picture looks very good but they do taste good.I had to eat a little piece of one just to make sure it was good enough to serve tomorrow.

I've posted this picture of me because this seems more like me than the one from the other day at the hair salon.As you can see I'm standing in my kitchen and just finished washing up the chili dishes.

Ken is out this evening watching the play off football game with some friends.
I have some cleaning to do, which I didn't do yesterday. So I'd better get going.

Hope your Saturday was one that had laughter and happy times in it.
Happyone :-)
We deem those happy who, from the experience of life, have learned to bear its ills, without being overcome by them.
~ Juvenal

11 comments:

Karen said...

Thanks for the lemon bar recipe. Love those things. And I loved seeing the picture of you--just as nice as I could have imagined, Karen!

George said...

You got a great picture of the sun just as sit popped over the horizon. Both your chili and lemon bars sound delicious.

CRUSTY MOM-E said...

I love your quote!! Care to share your chili recipe? that looks amazing!

Vee said...

You look so cute in your kitchen. Love all the blue on the windowsill with the flowers...very cheery...just like you.

Hope that you have lots of fun tomorrow. I'm hopeless when it comes to lemon things...love them all so of course I am snagging this recipe. Thanks.

happyone said...

Elizabeth, I just put in a link to the chili recipe. I had meant to do that but forgot. Thanks for the reminder.

Lindy said...

Another beautiful sunrise; very pretty!

Cute booties and hats. They look so soft and snuggly.

The chili and lemon bars are making me hungry! Thanks for sharing the recipes.

Cute picture of you in your kitchen. The bottles of flowers look so pretty on the window sill. I was noticing your cookie cutters on the wall; just like my mom had. Nice memory!

Hope you have a wonderful Sunday.

Andrew said...

The sunrise pic is awesome and the chili looks divine. I just love your new hair. You look twenty years younger! As always, it's a joy to read your blog.

Andrew

PurestGreen said...

Chilli done in the slow cooker must be one of the most delicious things ever - so comforting and warm. I love the photo for your header. Just gorgeous.

Cheryl said...

We had a really nice, comfortable time at your home. The delicious food was a bonus. Thank you so much for being my good friend!

Happy@Home said...

I trust your evening was wonderful. How could it be anything but, with that scrumptious looking food and your cheerful personality.
That's a very nice picture of you at the kitchen sink. Of course you might guess that I love the blue bottles with flowers in them. How pretty to look at while washing the dishes.
Thanks for the recipes.

KathyA said...

I love lemon bars! I hope you all had a nice evening/afternoon.