Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Birds, baking and......

An umbrella kind of morning today. Quite a few people out walking around the lake in spite of the rain. A woman walking, wearing no raincoat and had no umbrella had her little white poodle walking along beside her dressed in a yellow raincoat. I couldn't help but smile. By the lake I saw a bird that looked like a robin only it was much smaller and had a stripe of white down each side on it's side feathers. I tried looking it up but couldn't find anything that looked like what I saw. It looked somewhat like an Orchard Oriole. Speaking of birds I was excited to see my first bird at the birdbath on my deck this morning. :-) It was a house finch. I was going to put a bird feeder in the front but I am going to put one out near the birdbath.
I baked some Welsh Cookies. Click on picture for recipe. Knitted on the blue and white afghan.
Here's how it is coming along.
I also did some reading. It was one of those dreary days when it can't make up its mind to rain or not. I would rather have a day of a good soaking rain than this misty stuff. Someone from blogland (sorry I can't remember who) thought I might like the series called The Darling Buds of May. It's a British comedy/drama series set during the 50's in the country. We got it on Netflix and watched the first episode this evening. We thought it was pretty good - it was light hearted, entertaining, and made us laugh. One dreary day down and one more to go before the sun comes out again. But maybe the weather will surprise us with a sunny tomorrow. :-) Hope your Tuesday was happy. Happyone :-)

4 comments:

George said...

It sounds as if you got a lot accomplished on your dreary day. We're hoping for some sunshine here tomorrow. Thanks for the chuckle with the story about the woman and her dog.

KathyA said...

What you spotted DOES sound like an oriole! There's a specific place around CL where they nest. They like a heavy canopy -- the area is on the Annapolis Road side of the lake, closer to Columbia Road. I almost always see them there. We have a bluebird 'couple' who have been frequenting our back yard. Always exciting to see them and orioles.

Vee said...

I liked that little word picture you painted first thing.

Welsh cookies? Do they look like English muffins? Must check them out more closely.

The afghan is coming right along. Glad that you found a fun show to watch in the evenings.

Brad said...

I stopped mid-read and put Darling Buds on my netflix que - I'm always up for a good british comedy. I hope your weathers turned for the better for you. We finally got sun today after days and days of rain.